Rates and contracts for glamour / portraiture

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a hobbyist glamour / portraiture photographer and I'm a member of a local studio so I have a monthly block of studio hours that I use.

I don't charge models, I'm always the one paying. However, I'm beginning to get more requests for shoots from models, local referrals, etc. I want to have a standard rate card and contract for these scenarios. Either I present rates to these models and they go away, which is fine, or they agree to pay me, which is also fine.

I'm curious how other photographers structure their rate cards for glamour / portraiture studio sessions. I'm thinking something along the lines of $xx for 2-3 hours of shooting and the deliverable is x number of edited high resolution watermarked images?

Like I said, my intent is not to proactively market paid work and I have no illusions of ever being profitable. I simply want to have a response for models that reach out to me and am curious about what other photographers charge, what the deliverables are, and any examples of contracts. Any assistance that anyone is willing to provide would be awesome. Thanks!

$100 an hour and $50 per edited hi-res photo.

For a 2-3 hour session my time would cost a model $500 to $750.
The model would have to meet a minimum product purchase requirement to qualify for digital files of the photos I choose to sell. My contract stated I would deliver 20-25 finished images per hour of shooting.
I basically needed to make a minimum of $1000 for each hour of shooting time.
Each hour of shooting time usually caused 3 hours of pre/post behind the scenes work, which is why I needed $1000/hour of shooting to make a living.

In other words, what a working photographer needs to charge is way more than you would need to charge.

In other words, what a working photographer needs to charge is way more than you would need to charge.

I can see that but your feedback is helpful, sounds like I was more or less on track with what I was thinking although I like your fee per edited image instead of including it with the studio time. Thanks for the response.

Studio time is billed separately from product. I have found that generally speaking, unless you're working toward a specific concept with a very definite vision, 60-90 minutes is about where the creativity starts to run thin and the "this isn't so much fun any more" starts to creep in. I charge $175 for a "one hour" (In parenthesis because it often runs closer to 90 minutes or even longer) session in studio. Product is additional; digital files, high-resolution, un-marked and cropped for 8x10/8x12 are $65.00 each.

Thanks all, very helpful.

Would anyone happen to have a generic contract template you'd be willing to share? Really just interested in the language.

You can probably find one on the internet.

BTW: try to find some time to read through that thread I posted.

There are a lot of legal pitfalls you would need to be aware of when using a 'generic contract template'.

I was wondering. Do you register your copyrights?

Last edited:
The only one I have to hand at the moment is a TF* agreement for minors, however it's virtually identical to the document I use for paying headshot clients. NOTE: This document is provided as an example only and is based on the advice of my legal counsel in my region.

This is a work for time agreement between
<Name> (“The Photographer”)
and __________________________________ a minor, and _____________________________ a parent or guardian legally able to enter in to this agreement on behalf of the aforementioned minor; (Jointly, “The Client”), in which The Photographer and The client agree to a non-monetary exchange of time for services in the following manner:

In exchange for acting as a model for a period of up to two hours (or a greater or less period if mutually agreed on), The Client will receive up to three digital files, in .jpg format suitable for printing at up to 8x10 inches. As agreed beforehand by both The Client and The Photographer, the images will be head and shoulder images (“headshots”) of the type commonly used in modelling portfolios.

The Photographer grants The Client the right to make an unlimited number of prints of the aforementioned images, and the right to use the images in electronic or printed format for any non-commercial purpose, including but not limited social media use, and portfolios and self-promotion, but no other rights. The Client may not edit or alter the files in any way.

The Photographer retains copyright to all images as well as the right to use the image for any purpose including but not limited personal promotion, accreditation and portfolio.

The Client is responsible for hair-styling, make-up, and clothing choices. The Photographer will retain the right to make the final decision as to which image(s) are selected for processing and delivery to The Client.

Most reactions

Back