• Not bothered

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
I'm not sure if this has been asked or indeed tried before but I was thinking of having a universal rating system implemented for the critique gallery where users can vote (say out of 10 or a percentage) on specific aspects of an image.

Something along the lines of - detail, composition, exposure etc.? I just feel that more rounded feedback like this as well as comments would be useful for all us budding photographers, amateurs and pros alike. Also, some users I feel may not like leaving comments in fear of offending people or they may just not know how to put it into words and not bother replying.

A voting system would make this easier and probably increase the amount of feedback received. Clearly there must be specific but short guidelines set out so the system is universal and useful.

Let me know what you think (especially admin!).

Thanks

Although a 'rating system' for images appears to be a nice idea, in reality it is the worst possible way to critique a picture.
A critique should be an examination of a picture to some depth with an analysis of the various aspects leading to an informed opinion about ways of improving.
How would a 'rating system' such as you are proposing do this? The answer is, it wouldn't. There is no way on earth that knowing your image rates a '7 = quite nice realy' will help you to improve as a photographer.
A 'rating system' is just a return to the bad old days of people criting photos in here by saying 'Oh wow!' or 'You rock'. It would only be a matter of time before it became:
1 = :hail:
2 = :sillysmi:
3 = :-|
4 = :er:
5 = :grumpy:
So I think the answer to your question is: over JonMikals dead body.
Now if you will all just disperse peacefully so I don't have to set the dogs on you.....

The problem with rating systems is that encourages people to not comment. Many will take the easy option and give a score rather than explaining why they gave that score. Of course some people will do both but like most things people will take the route with takes less time and thought. It also gives people an opportunity to have sly digs. If there is a rating system I'd assume it'd be anonymous because it'd be easier to create it that way. That opens the door for people who don't like you to have a pop at you. Granted it wouldn't happen very often. But I'd rather people weren't able to do that.

You also have the problem of creating the system. I'm aware that VBB allows admins to set it so that threads in a forum can be rated out of five. But to set up a system where people can rate a photograph in multiple fields will require creating scripts for the forum, I think. Not only would that be a chore but if not done properly can create problems, especially when the forum needs upgrading to the latest version.

I, personally, prefer it the way it is. Where people are forced to take the time to explain in depth their thoughts on the photograph from an artistic and technical point of view. I think that helps the photographer who posts the photograph and the person replying a lot more. It also openly gives people to opportunity to say whatever they feel how they want to.
:)

I pretty much agree with both sides of the argument now, if you get me?! I'm not sure I do but in general I tend to think with any subject that if there are as many bad points as good then it's usually a bad thing in general. I do believe though that the people using the crit gallery and the forum on the whole are mature enough not to just have a dig at someone

you can already rate each thread at the top left of the screen "Rate thread"... can't you?

you could just use that i suppose, if you wanted to

A rating system can work, but only in a forum where the purpose is to rate images against other images. But even then there have to be some safeguards. You have to prevent people coming in and voting under different logins (oh yes, some will if they can). You have to take into consideration that some will vote the lowest just to skew the total results. Some people will attract more and higher votes just because of who they are, not necessarily because of their images.

So yes, if people play by the rules AND the spirit of a rating system, it can work very well. But it only takes a very few to ruin it for others.

Not that I've seen anyone on here that would not play by the rules. :)

Mike

Interesting. This would be in line with professional memberships, with some very important differences.

1st. Entries would have to be anonymous. The rating too would have to remain secret until the close of judging to prevent influencing other judges.

2nd. Judges would have to be pre-approved in some way, making certain each has attained a level of proficiency in the catagory they judge.

3rd. All entries would have to adhear to a set of specifications... such as size, presentation, etc.

4th. Judging would be against a standand of achievment, not against other makers.

5th. This would have to be a seperate forum from critique. Entries in the "competion" forum could then be posted in the critiqe forum after judging so all could learn why the image scored the way it did.

6th. I'm sure there are other considerations. I thought this rough draft might spur some coversation. It would be interesting if there was a compition forum opened for a specified period of time (maybe 3-7 days), two or three times a year.

Most reactions

Back