RAW; DNG; TIF

DblArrow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Question about RAW and DNG and TIF file formats. I have a Pentax K100D. I use Paint Shop Pro software. At the moment Paint cannot open the Pentax 100D RAW PEF files, (it can do *ist files however so I expect it in the future) so I have been saving as TIF's (using Pentax's Photo Lab) then playing with them. I can also save as DNG (using Pentax's Photo Browser) then open in Paint. RAW files are about 10.2 mb; DNG are about 11.4 mb; 16 bit TIF are about 34+ mb and 8 bit TIF's are about 17+ mb.

First question is why do the TIF get up to 3x the size and where does that data come from?

Second question, how much different is the DNG file from the RAW file?

And last which of the two TIF or DNG would be the better for editing?

Have mostly been doing highest quality jpegs but decided I wanted to have the negative, so to speak, so will be keeping RAW's and editing in something else.

Thanks for any and all information.

Not sure about the file size.

I might be able to answer some. DNG is the file format from adobe, while PEF files are proprietory file format from Pentax. All camera makers have their own. All adobe did was combine it so some day all the raw files will be in a universal format, DNG. Not sure if that really answered your question.

You can't really edit DNG files, you can use like adobe camera RAW with dng, and you can do basic items like exposure, brightness...etc. If you want to do any printing or anything you will then need to convert it to another file format. I personally use .psd because of the ability to save layers in photoshop...actually I also believe Tiff files can also save layers.

Well I'm also fairly new to photography, so maybe somebody else can also help.

Question about RAW and DNG and TIF file formats. I have a Pentax K100D. I use Paint Shop Pro software. At the moment Paint cannot open the Pentax 100D RAW PEF files, (it can do *ist files however so I expect it in the future) so I have been saving as TIF's (using Pentax's Photo Lab) then playing with them. I can also save as DNG (using Pentax's Photo Browser) then open in Paint. RAW files are about 10.2 mb; DNG are about 11.4 mb; 16 bit TIF are about 34+ mb and 8 bit TIF's are about 17+ mb.

First question is why do the TIF get up to 3x the size and where does that data come from?

Second question, how much different is the DNG file from the RAW file?

And last which of the two TIF or DNG would be the better for editing?

Have mostly been doing highest quality jpegs but decided I wanted to have the negative, so to speak, so will be keeping RAW's and editing in something else.

Thanks for any and all information.

Stick with your Pentax Raw files....and for editing I do believe that Raw Shooter Essentials 2006 supports your camera, just get a copy fast as they were sold to Adobe and the programs no longer supported, a VERY sad thing as it was awesome and 100% free http://www.photo-freeware.net/raw-shooter-essentials.php

Just as a side note as of a a couple of days ago Paint Shop Pro XI will now open my Pentax RAW files so I don't have to go through the conversion Process, or even bother with Pentax's software.

Still wondering why TIF files get so large.

Thanks.

P.S. Just downloaded Raw Shooter and it currently does not support the K100D, it has support for the older *isd's.

OK The tifs from your camera are generally not compressed very well. 16bit tif files hold a lot more data than 8 bit files. Shooting TIF will most likely slow the camera down when shooting. Better to choose jpg if you can and save as a tif in Photoshop.

RAW Shooter is now discontinued and you'll no longer get support.Adobe bought the company that made it.

Best option of all is to shoot RAW. Your camera's software should be able to open them. Do so and save as an 8 bit tif and then as a jpg when ready to print. Always keep your raw files.

DNG is an adobe RAW format. It's ok but is not widely supported. RAW is a better option at the moment.

Most reactions

Back