RAW etc...

sdgmusic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sean-degroote.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is there a considerable amount of work involved with shooting RAW and editing in the computer? or is it better just to have a better quality image? I am shooting RAW and hoping that I am doing so just to get a better quality image, is there more work that I have to do to it in the computer to GET a better quality image? I understand that my computer will do a better job compressing into JPEG than my camera, any other reasons someone can give me to keep shooting RAW??

Majority of photos get post processed. Shooting raw or even tiff will not compress the picture, leaving best possible quality after post production. Raw is the data directly off the sensor, so technically it is not even a picture. The Raw converter is automatically activated when a Raw file is opened in Photoshop, or another photo editing software that supports Raw. I shoot Raw all the time, and do notice that after I am finished with the post production, it looks better than a jpg.

RAW is, as mentioned before, not compressed; therefore containing all the data of your photo. In addition when shooting RAW you have more control over highlights/shadows when post-processing. It will also eliminate other hurdles because of the files richness. I for sure recommend shooting in RAW and eventually it will speed up your process of post processing.

Paul.

So, when shooting in RAW, do you need to convert the RAW file in order to open the file in PS? I have Canon DPP on my computer. Is this the correct way to convert a RAW file?

PS should automatically open it's raw converter when you attempt to open a Raw file.

I have an older version of PS, version 5.0. I cannot open the image in this version without first converting it using Canon Zoombrowser. I have to save it as a TIFF and then it will open in PS 5.0 unless I am doing something wrong. If this is the case, tell me what it is I am doing wrong.

Check Adobe's Website for plug-ins. I once I installed PS there was a Raw Converter Update ready for download. This may help. I have heard here in the forum of other users needing to do this as well.

So, when shooting in RAW, do you need to convert the RAW file in order to open the file in PS? I have Canon DPP on my computer. Is this the correct way to convert a RAW file?

I prefer DPP for processing my RAW. In my opinion its the best place to start your wrokflow. I like that it retains your in camera settings and you normally have only small adjustments to make then crop, resize and convert.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back