RAW files causes color change?

Can I ask another thing? :1219: I have tons of RAW images on Iphoto (which transferring to my pc becomes jpg). Many of them I would love to get the chance to edit in really RAW format (I erased them from my memory card) . There are any way to transfer those pictures back to some place in RAW ?:sour:

Yes.

Using "Finder", locate the iPhoto Library (it is probably in your "Pictures" folder).
Right-Click on the iPhoto Library and this will open a pop-up menu. One of the choices in the pop-up menu will say "Show Package Contents" -- take that choice.

The "iPhoto Library" file is really an OS X "Package". A "Package" is actually a directory in disguise... it's designed to look like a single file, but it really is a directory and you can open and browse it by using the "Show Package Contents" option.

Once inside, there is a folder named "Masters" -- double click to descend into that folder.
Within "Masters" are more folders... one named for each year. E.g. a photo taken recently would be in the "2015" folder... so you'd descend into that folder.
And within each year, are more folders representing each month. May would be named "05" for the month number.
And within the month folder there are folders for each day.

And here's where it gets slightly tricky... within the day you'll find more folders... one for each "import" that you performed.

If you performed an "import" of 5 images at 3:07pm (and 10 seconds) then you'd have a folder named "20150506-150710" which decodes to mean the folder was created in 2015 (year) 05 (month) 06 (day) - 15 (hour) 07 (minutes) 10 (seconds).

But within THAT folder you'd find your 5 "original" master images... just as they came in from the camera memory card -- completely unaltered. iPhoto never touches the "Masters" (that's how you can always restore a picture to it's original state if you don't like the edits you've done.)

So if these were "RAW" images, you should have a bunch of ".NEF" files (Nikon RAW files -- Canon users would find .CR2 files instead.) And if you've kept up with all your Apple software updates then the Mac will know how to show you the .NEF (highlight & tap the spacebar to do a "quick-look"). Apple provides camera RAW updates so that any Apple software that has to deal with images (Finder, Preview, iPhoto, Aperture... even things like Keynote & Pages) can all know how to deal with RAW images for just about any camera on the market.

I got it . Thank you all.

I found that actually on iPhoto my images are still on RAW format and there are a few editing options there as well. Not super good but I can at least increase the exposure of some pictures before transfer them which make them become jpeg format. I didn't find out how to take them out of iPhoto without convert it to jpeg though but from now on I will never again upload my images there :lol: .

Fjrabon thank you for your advice. I took a note about it to don't forget.

Can I ask another thing? :1219: I have tons of RAW images on Iphoto (which transferring to my pc becomes jpg). Many of them I would love to get the chance to edit in really RAW format (I erased them from my memory card) . There are any way to transfer those pictures back to some place in RAW ?:sour:

Yes.

Using "Finder", locate the iPhoto Library (it is probably in your "Pictures" folder).
Right-Click on the iPhoto Library and this will open a pop-up menu. One of the choices in the pop-up menu will say "Show Package Contents" -- take that choice.

The "iPhoto Library" file is really an OS X "Package". A "Package" is actually a directory in disguise... it's designed to look like a single file, but it really is a directory and you can open and browse it by using the "Show Package Contents" option.

Once inside, there is a folder named "Masters" -- double click to descend into that folder.
Within "Masters" are more folders... one named for each year. E.g. a photo taken recently would be in the "2015" folder... so you'd descend into that folder.
And within each year, are more folders representing each month. May would be named "05" for the month number.
And within the month folder there are folders for each day.

And here's where it gets slightly tricky... within the day you'll find more folders... one for each "import" that you performed.

If you performed an "import" of 5 images at 3:07pm (and 10 seconds) then you'd have a folder named "20150506-150710" which decodes to mean the folder was created in 2015 (year) 05 (month) 06 (day) - 15 (hour) 07 (minutes) 10 (seconds).

But within THAT folder you'd find your 5 "original" master images... just as they came in from the camera memory card -- completely unaltered. iPhoto never touches the "Masters" (that's how you can always restore a picture to it's original state if you don't like the edits you've done.)

So if these were "RAW" images, you should have a bunch of ".NEF" files (Nikon RAW files -- Canon users would find .CR2 files instead.) And if you've kept up with all your Apple software updates then the Mac will know how to show you the .NEF (highlight & tap the spacebar to do a "quick-look"). Apple provides camera RAW updates so that any Apple software that has to deal with images (Finder, Preview, iPhoto, Aperture... even things like Keynote & Pages) can all know how to deal with RAW images for just about any camera on the market.

Wow Tim! :eek-73::clap:Thank you so much for using your time to write such detailed explanation. :Hail.sml::Hail.sml:
It was super helpful. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back