RAW-FINE? SMALL/LARGE? Nikon D3200

Arx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
arxphoto.wix.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I know that RAW files have more information in them, but when I took RAW+FINE photos and compared them then RAW photo had a lot more noise in it. So..should I still be using RAW and post process noise out somehow? Won't I lose photo's information by reducing noise?
Second question is: should I use large or small picture resolution? I'd say large resolution again, but I've read different opinions from internet and it seems like I'm getting better quality photos with smaller resolution. I'm lost.

Nikon D3200.
I also really love to shoot at night: auroras and stars.

How are you looking at a raw image? It’s not possible really. Raw editors such as Lightroom shouldn’t show any more grain than allowing the camera to convert it to jpg.

Shoot raw, it’s not more data, it’s ALL the data!

Especially long exposure night photography. No doubt your camera is applying noise reduction in the conversion!

How are you looking at a raw image? It’s not possible really. Raw editors such as Lightroom shouldn’t show any more grain than allowing the camera to convert it to jpg.

Shoot raw, it’s not more data, it’s ALL the data!

Especially long exposure night photography. No doubt your camera is applying noise reduction in the conversion!

I dragged both of the files into Photoshop and it was clear that RAW photo had A LOT more grain in it. I just tried it again, but I couldn't tell the difference...I guess the last time I compared I messed something up. (which I still think is quite unlikely)
I will do couple more tests in near future. It's pitty because I was out shooting auroras today (clear weather, good stats for them to shine)...with SMALL resolution and JPEG (FINE).

Thank you!

JPEG will usually have less noise than a raw file. That is because the camera adds noise reduction along with white balance, lens correction and compression when it processes the jpeg. RAW on the other hand has little if any processing added to it. You have to adjust the white balance, lens correction, and noise reduction yourself in post processing.

Last edited:
JPEG will usually have less noise that a raw file. That is because the camera adds noise reduction along with white balance and lens correction and compression when it processes the jpeg. RAW on the other hand has little if any processing added to it. You have to adjust the white balance, lens correction, and noise reduction yourself in post processing.

That is the best answer I've got! That explains why it was less noisy with jpeg. Thank you! I can shoot in RAW again!

So I know that RAW files have more information in them, but when I took RAW+FINE photos and compared them then RAW photo had a lot more noise in it. So..should I still be using RAW and post process noise out somehow? Won't I lose photo's information by reducing noise?
Second question is: should I use large or small picture resolution? I'd say large resolution again, but I've read different opinions from internet and it seems like I'm getting better quality photos with smaller resolution. I'm lost.
Your camera has two variables; size and resolution. I usually keep my camera on Large and Fine. The size of the image is large, meaning lots of "real estate". The resolution is fine, meaning the camera's firmware has kept the detail as fine as it can.

If you are capturing the Raw file, it will always need some noise reduction and sharpening, but the good news is that when you adjust the WB, you can get it really accurate.

When you are out shooting the Aurora, every time you change position or the ambient light changes, take a photo of something plain white, such as typing paper or a styrofoam plate. Later, when you are editing, get the WB to show the target as pure white, and make a note of the WB setting so you can quickly make the other shots the same WB.

Please read the recent thread on exposure and ISO here:

Need help with exposure question

Most reactions

Back