RAW HDR question

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
I am using CS5 HDR pro to create my HDRs.

One question I have is, when using RAW files to create HDR, do I have to manually adjust each RAW file first, or do I just leave them as they are?

It depends. If you need to correct for CA, or spot out something, I would adjust one the main file and apply correction to all.

Removing dust after the fact is a real headache. Remember you have many layers of exposures to correct for.

I've been leaving them as they are, but I'm new to HDR... I haven't had any issues yet that have caused me undue strain in resolving editing all the layers at the same time.

Major edits, such as cloning out stuff or if there's something severely wrong with one of the shots, then I would do it before merging. If not, then I'd merge and do touch ups. But I'm new to HDR processing as well, so don't trust me completely ;)

I use Photomatix - here you have the opportunity to adjust the color-temperature when you import the pictures. You have the option to reduce noise during processing as well, so I don’t edit the RAW-files up front.
All cloning, and masking is done after HDR-processing, where you can mix the tonemapped picture with the original shots.

I do a mix, although I hand blend my HDR shots in CS5. All sorts of minor corrections in lightroom to get them the way I want them, then drop them into CS5 and merge. They annoying answer is of course it depends on what you are trying to fix. color balance? do it before. dust spot thats on all the frames? could do either. yeah...probobly not very helpful.

Lens correction should be needed if you don't use a tripod.

If you are editing an image that was shot in RAW and imported into CS5, it is no longer a RAW image. It is in a proprietary Adobe format. You cando what ever you want to it but the original Raw image remains somewhere on your computer untouched, and hopefully backed up.

Most reactions

Back