RAW help, taking along time.

darkpbstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok I downloaded Stepok's free RAW converter, and I took like 100 pictures today, so I have to go through the adjustment/converting stages for every single picture? it seems like it takes too long. HELP!!! thanks

also, when I convert the RAW to Jpeg, after I made my pp changed, is it saved with those changes as the JPEG? so I know I'm not wasting precious time. thanks

I don't know about this particular software but on most raw converters you can copy the settings and paste them to the other images. So if you set yourself up nicely on the first picture then the remaining of the series is a piece of cake and doesn't take that long!

oh ok, and if I am to copy the settings to the rest, will I be able to go in individually if I really like one, yet I want to "sweet spot" some settings? thanks for your fast response too by the way

ok I found a batch convert, so I can do many at once, but it sais to use the other parameters (saturation, blah blah blah) then I have to go through the step by step mode, which is one photo at a time I think. So I don't know if I should convert all of the photos to jpeg, so I can at least view them how they look now, then when I see pictures that are worth going through the step by step mode, I can re-convert those ones and take the time to make them good. Does this make any sense? thanks

Ok, I'm posting agian sorry, but I sent all my files to the converter and they are converting now. It really takes a long time. It is a free converter so maybe if I spend some money it will go faster. This is more for me to get teh feel of it since I've never used RAW before. post what you think I should do, and to my last post as well, thank you

Just shoot in RAW + JPEG.

I hear the GIMP is now supported by several good RAW plugins.

Are all your shots keepers?

Shoot in raw + jpeg and only convert/PP the raw files you want to save/print/etc....

IMHO the raw files give you more options.

Cheers, Don

What do you mean by 'a long time'? How long would it have taken to develop three rolls of film, and then print them? That would be a full day's work, so really, is it that long?

And, as mentioned, why do them all? Even the best photog in the world doesn't get 100% keepers; personally, if it's 10% I'm ecstatic (and it's generally more like 1-5%).

well I had to do them all just for the sake of being able to see them. Half of them didn't work anyway, it said "cannot save" for some reason at about half way through, maybe because I sent 120 at a time. I'm ok with time wise, I know it is not that long.

Thank you Don, that was the best advice I got, I am going to install it now and see. I can't believe I didn't htink of it.

You should find that your software can select any or all of the pictures in a folder and 'develop' them all to the same settings.

This is what I normally do. Take a couple of dozen shots, download to computer, select the lot and do a 'convert raw'.

On occasions where some look as if they need 'developing' adjustment they are done seperately.

I hope that makes sense.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back