Raw Processing Software

allansiew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Anyone has any free Raw Processing Software that is good to recommend?

Capture One is the best RAW software but at $499 US, it's pretty hard to justify unless you are going to be doing a ton of RAW.

I second RawShooter essentials, I hate the raw software that came with my Canon DSLRs and I also really do not care for the Camera Raw with Photoshop CS2 since it is really part of bridge which is a giant waste of a program.

The thing about using RAW is it has to be a part of your workflow, so you need to find software that will fit in good with your workflow. RawShooter seems to be the only program to figure that out (and it's free!!)

These days, I use the RAW Preview part of Windows PowerTools (free online if you can find it) to choose the photos, and CS2's RAW feature for processing. It does everything I need, though I may give RawShooter a try...

I couldn't tell you about the Nikon software, because I couldn't get it to install... and it's not like I have a crappy PC...

I use Nikon view (free with cameras) but only use it as a file browser, and I also use it's card reader download utility. For RAW conversion I use Nikon Capture on location and in the studio when I shoot teathered. I use CS for most conversions of files read from CF cards.

elsaspet said:
Capture One is the best RAW software but at $499 US, it's pretty hard to justify unless you are going to be doing a ton of RAW.

I wouldnt say that.....

I used to like capture one until I started just running my images through photoshop CS.

Capture one seemed to lose alot of the fine details that photoshop keeps when sharpened.

I don't agree at all. I was using PS CS2 and getting a ton of noise in my images. I checked my cameras, lenses, everything. Turns out it was PS CS2 ARC. I talked to some people about it, and they thought DPP would do the trick, but since I have to shoot at high ISOs so much, even that didn't work. Believe me, I didn't want to shell out the money for the program, but my livelyhood depends on my photo quality. I can't afford noise unless I add it on purpose.
Like I said, it depends on the purpose. If the photo is going in a photo album at home, PS CS2 is ok. If you are getting paid for the photos, people are going to expect more. Capture One gives you more control. Without noise and boosted contrast. If you look at it from a business standpoint, it's not that much money, for the returns you get.
Edited to add. I use Capture One only for white balance and exposures. I do my noise reduction in Noise Ninja and my sharpening in Flex Core.

Marctwo said:
I can't find Flex Core. Do you have a URL for it?
Not off hand, but I'll get it for you. I got it via another photog. I'll send you the link as soon as I get it.

I too throw my vote with raw shooters essentials. I have talked to a few professionals that advised me to use it. I have tried many and I find it the most versatile one out there. Its one down side for me is it's noise reduction is lacking. However I use Neat Image for that.

elsaspet said:
I don't agree at all. I was using PS CS2 and getting a ton of noise in my images. I checked my cameras, lenses, everything. Turns out it was PS CS2 ARC. I talked to some people about it, and they thought DPP would do the trick, but since I have to shoot at high ISOs so much, even that didn't work. Believe me, I didn't want to shell out the money for the program, but my livelyhood depends on my photo quality. I can't afford noise unless I add it on purpose.
Like I said, it depends on the purpose. If the photo is going in a photo album at home, PS CS2 is ok. If you are getting paid for the photos, people are going to expect more. Capture One gives you more control. Without noise and boosted contrast. If you look at it from a business standpoint, it's not that much money, for the returns you get.
Edited to add. I use Capture One only for white balance and exposures. I do my noise reduction in Noise Ninja and my sharpening in Flex Core.

I have had major problems with CS2 and grain/noise. But CS doesnt seem to have any problems at all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back