RAW Question :D

tigidig4x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Guys,I am shooting RAW all the time. Do i really need to face the consequences of having heavy file sizes? Or is there a trick or some solution to this one that i could do to not easily eat my space up? Thanks so much...I only use lightroom 4, not photoshop or elements.

Adobe DNG Converter can reduce the file size a bit, but otherwise you are going to have to delete more or convert to jpg or buy more storage space.

John.

Guys,I am shooting RAW all the time. Do i really need to face the consequences of having heavy file sizes? Or is there a trick or some solution to this one that i could do to not easily eat my space up? Thanks so much...I only use lightroom 4, not photoshop or elements.

Shoot fewer pictures or delete more pictures

Since I started using LR4, I have been converting to DNG files. But I also use an external hard drive to store older pictures on.

Just remember, a hard drive is a mechanical device (unless you are using a solid state drive, but even those wear out). For long term storage consider burning your keepers onto CD, DVD or blu-ray disks.

Just remember, a hard drive is a mechanical device (unless you are using a solid state drive, but even those wear out). For long term storage consider burning your keepers onto CD, DVD or blu-ray disks.

CDs and DVDs are NOT forever mediums. They WILL degrade, and you will eventually lose the images.

The best way to keep your images is to copy them onto multiple devices and keep them in different locations. And this does not mean keep the CDs in the closet, the DVDs in the basement and a hard drive in the safe. Different addresses. If your work isn't in three distinct locations, it doesn't really exists.

If you store files on to a hard drive for archival storage make sure and read every bit on the drive every couple of years. A full defrag should do the trick. Better yet buy new external hard drives every couple of years and move the archive data to them and re-purpose the old drives as your daily storage.

For real long term storage a tape is still your best bet but even then not absolute.

the best bet for long term archival storage is to have more than one backup in more than one location as was mentioned above, and to migrate the backup every 3-5 years to whatever the then state of the art media is . ANY digital storage will degrade over extremely long times.

oh ok, so i think i really need to buy new externals here..

By the way, please tell me if i'm doing my photo organizing right..

I put a different folder for every year, like i make a folder for 2013, and create then a subfolder for every individual shoots. And at every subfolder, i only name them the date taken and inside them are the RAW files i shoot. I then make a 1 big catalog in my lightroom and organize them in there by "collection" and the name of the collection is the particular name of the shoot i did, like "Sports Fest".. And that is all.. I only convert JPEGS if i want to upload them to facebook or flickr, and i just delete the JPEGS after but i keep the RAW. Am i doing it right? Please tell me how to improve my gallery. Thank you so much..

That's why the D7000 shines for the semi-experienced photog. 2 card slots that can be set to shoot raw on one and Jpeg on the other. Otherwise you don't have many options. I have a 32gig card and can shoot 800+ shots in raw before I have to switch out. They are cheap (If you don't need one with high speed).

That's why the D7000 shines for the semi-experienced photog. 2 card slots that can be set to shoot raw on one and Jpeg on the other. Otherwise you don't have many options. I have a 32gig card and can shoot 800+ shots in raw before I have to switch out. They are cheap (If you don't need one with high speed).

I don't mind many SD Cards to use. Im just concerned to use many hard drives/external hard drive on my PC. But if that would be the case, then i'd will use separate externals for my photos.

The most reliable hdd for storage in my opinion are Western Digital, followed by Hitachi, then then Seagate and Fuji, and Samsung last as they are really crap and were just sold to Seagate, though for SSD i recommend Samsung as the best, strange is it not.

Also for SDHC cards, Samsung as very good and built like a tank and not that expensive either.

John.

Memory cards are cheap. Hard drives are cheap.

I had a shock when I changed from JPG to RAW+JPG on my 60D (18mp camera), and an even bigger shock when I bought a 5D3 (23mp). RAWs suck up a whole LOT of space! Moving from a 30D to 60D to 5D3, my cards have 'grown' from 4gig to 8gig and now 16gig sizes. My hard drives (and computers, too!) have grown to 1 TB size with an SSD for the operating system and My Documents, which includes whatever 'current' photoshoot I am working on. As an amateur, once I'm done editing a shoot, I only save the JPGs on the 1TB with multiple separate, backups. Note that one does not need the worlds 'best'/'greatest'/'fastest' HDs for long-term storage. Only reliability counts.

there is a free app called "instant jpeg from raw" you can select a 100 raw files, and within a few seconds it will extract the full size jpeg from them, they look great, and on my nikon if i select for example black/white picture profile and take a photo, the extracted jpeg from the raw will be black/white, but you still have the advantages of the adjustable raw file.

John.

there is a free app called "instant jpeg from raw" you can select a 100 raw files, and within a few seconds it will extract the full size jpeg from them, they look great, and on my nikon if i select for example black/white picture profile and take a photo, the extracted jpeg from the raw will be black/white, but you still have the advantages of the adjustable raw file.

John.

Any camera capable of recording raw files will be supplied with software from the manufacturer.

Most reactions

Back