Raw, Raw+Jpeg, or Jpeg?

carusoswi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What format should I use?
Right now, I'm using RAW to shoot some test images on my new Alpha 100. They are easy enough to open, view, save if I wanted.
I read somewhere that this might be better than using the camera's internal processing to create jpegs out of the camera.

Any advice, anyone?

Caruso

I just shoot raw. raw + jpeg is overkill for me and takes up a lot of space on your memory card. If you want the most control of your image in post processing shoot raw and use a raw editing program before saving as a tif for printing, jpeg or whatever you choose.

I agree with flying panther except for situations where you may just need or want a quick shot and need a jpeg, then I would just shoot the jpeg. For the images that matter, have potential or that you are unsure which way to go, I would shoot RAW, save as a Tiff, DNG or PSD, then if you need a JPEG save a copy as a JPEG.

I always shoot RAW. It gives you the most flexibility, and you still have the JPG option. If you need the extra space, or you need to take rapid shots, then JPG's probably the way to go. Otherwise, just shoot RAW.

except for situations where you may just need or want a quick shot and need a jpeg, then I would just shoot the jpeg.

What is a quick shot?

Like something where you do not need image quality? Well, what if a week later you think you realised that shot was more special and has other uses then what thought it good for first? Then you would be happy if you had taken it in RAW.

Even my Ebay shots are taken in RAW, however, I just set all on auto when developing them into jpg.

Most reactions

Back