raw taken in b&w

puyjapin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
first attempt at raw shooting today, took them in blk and white...but when i open them they r in colour, i assume this is because it looks at all data and all colours irrespective if camera settings?

That's correct. RAW images are always in color....although if you set your camera for B&W...it will probably show you a B&W preview.

thanks, just ano quick question. Ive decided to save a tiff and a jpeg of each edited raw file. the tiff is much higer quality on screen so when it comes to printing or uploading to the web the jpeg will look substandard wont it?

i think that it optimizes for BW conversion, but all the color data is there.
i noticed that too when shooting BW on my D40 and opening bridge to view the raws.

so it might be, that if you shoot in BW then open in PS (say), and just do a mode change to grayscale, it might look better than opening a photo not optimized for BW and changing the mode to grayscale.

Ive decided to save a tiff and a jpeg of each edited raw file. the tiff is much higer quality on screen so when it comes to printing or uploading to the web the jpeg will look substandard wont it?
It depends on the resolution and compression of the image.

I'd suggest only saving those copies when you have an intention for them...and then saving a file that is appropriate for that use. For example, if you are going to print, then save a JPEG that is the proper size and don't use much/any compression (high quality). If you are going to upload for web viewing, then first reduce the size of the image (less than 800 pixels wide) then save as a JPEG with moderate compression.

so i should choose the size of the file in inches in pse if i intend to print? I assume the purpose of tiff is for screen view, it seems they are much higer quality on my screen, ..is it poss to have jpegs as good as tiffs?

JPEG & TIFF should look exactly the same on your screen...unless you are changing the size or the compression when you save.

JPEG is fine for screen viewing, printing or whatever. The only problem with JPEG is that every time you open and save the image, it gets compresses a little more and you loose a tiny bit of quality. TIFF is a lossless format, so you can save over and over again without loosing anything.

the jpegs are definately lower quality on mine, in fact the physical file size is very different, maybe 4mb for the jpeg and 17mb fpor the tiff, perhaps im doing something wrong.... what do i need to do to compres properly?
thanks

How are you saving the JPEGs? What steps are you taking? What are the actual sizes of the images (in pixels)? What zoom factor are you looking at the images with?

just opening the raw file, making changes then file save as and selecting jpeg. how would i check the pixels ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back