RAW to TIFF = Dark Help!

outlier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. I'm very new to working in digital and I'm getting a bit frustrated. This weekend I shot a bunch of photos in RAW mode on my Canon XT Rebel. I open the photos in the Raw image task program that came with my camera and edit. They started out a bit dark so I increased the brightness somewhat and tweak around with the contrast etc. and it looks pretty good on my screen. Then I export to 16Bit TIFF and open it with Photoshop CS2 and it is very very dark. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a calibration problem of some sort?

Help!

Check your color space. You may be changing color space somewhere along the line...which will alter the way your images look.

I don't have a really good understanding of color space etc....so to keep everything simple...I have the camera set to sRGB and I keep everything sRGB.

If you can, I suggest downloading the free program called RAW Shooter Essentials. I'm not even sure if it supports that camera...but it might. If that program is no longer avaliable...then maybe consider Adobe Lightroom. Adobe bought out RSE and used it to make Lightroom.

That was it! Thank you Markc!
After fiddling for hours and then searching here for another hour you solved my problem in a few minutes. I'm very grateful.

Sounds like it might have converted in linear mode. I haven't used that program, so I can't be much help with it specifically.

Thanks Mike. I've been shooting in sRGB so that is consistent. I will check out some of the RAW image processors you have recommended. Are there any specific advantages to any of these or do they tend to have more options? Are any just better at processing?

Thanks?

Check your color space. You may be changing color space somewhere along the line...which will alter the way your images look.

I don't have a really good understanding of color space etc....so to keep everything simple...I have the camera set to sRGB and I keep everything sRGB.

If you can, I suggest downloading the free program called RAW Shooter Essentials. I'm not even sure if it supports that camera...but it might. If that program is no longer avaliable...then maybe consider Adobe Lightroom. Adobe bought out RSE and used it to make Lightroom.

I had been using the Photoshop built-in program, Adobe Camera Raw...and basically doing it one image at a time. I also tried the included software, Canon Digital Professional (or something like that). Either way, I was a bit of a pain to edit large numbers of RAW files.

What I like about R.S.E., is that it's so easy to do multiple files quickly and easily. You can rate the images to make sorting easier...and you can make adjustments and then put the images in the que for conversion...which works in the background while you continue to select and adjust more files. I can chew through hundreds of RAW files in no time....it's great.

Most reactions

Back