Raw workflow, for slower PC's?

ecphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use lightroom4 x64 I found it performs a little better than the 32bit version on my 64 bit win7. I used to use Lightroom3 which performed much better on my laptop than lr4. Ultimately the performance has always sucked on this laptop.

Now I find my self waiting for about a minute per JPEG I export. My export settings aren't anything too fancy. Its very slow to switch between stages of processing. Its slow to apply filters. Its all around super slow and becomes very frustrating.

I'm using a win7 laptop, 4 gigs ram and a 64bit AMD Phenom x3 @2.3ghz.

Is there another software suite that will give me similar functionality while performing better with my setup?
I also use it in conjunction with perfect portrait 6.

Last edited:
If it were me, I would rather change the hardware to support the software rather than the software to support the hardware.

If you haven't already, you should max out the memory.... most of these applications are memory bound.

If it were me, I would rather change the hardware to support the software rather than the software to support the hardware.

If you haven't already, you should max out the memory.... most of these applications are memory bound.

I just upgraded my camera so Im $700 in the hole. It's a laptop too so internal upgrades are kind of out for now. I'll probably buy a new PC at years end,
but in the mean time I'm stuck.

I just upgraded my camera so Im $700 in the hole. It's a laptop too so internal upgrades are kind of out for now. I'll probably buy a new PC at years end,
but in the mean time I'm stuck.

How old is your laptop?

Even a low end tower for around $300-400 would be quite a bit faster.

My 3 year old laptop performs fine. Has a mere 1.53GHz DualCore thingie with 8 GB of RAM

Try going into your Catalog Settings, then File Handling. Try lowering your standard preview size and lowering your preview quality.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Y
es, Lightroom can eat RAM big time. I have no problem seeing 6+GB of system usage when I edit large amounts. I would definitely try to upgrade to 8GB of RAM. These things mentioned probably won't help your actual export times, but they should help with smoothing your work flow.

Try going into your Catalog Settings, then File Handling. Try lowering your standard preview size and lowering your preview quality.

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html

Y
es, Lightroom can eat RAM big time. I have no problem seeing 6+GB of system usage when I edit large amounts. I would definitely try to upgrade to 8GB of RAM. These things mentioned probably won't help your actual export times, but they should help with smoothing your work flow.

That might help thanks :)

Unfortuntely, I have an even slower computer...by todays' standards. I used to build computers for friends and associates, so I always had to have the fastest box, maxed out. I finally gave up doing that about 10 years ago when my income dropped dramatically and so now, I am using a box I built 7-8 years ago with the then-fastest AMD processor made (Athlon, XP3200 with 512k L2 cache) with the best, most-reliable ASUS motherboard, and immediately maxed out the RAM to 3 gig. That was over $1000 worth of hardware back then. When Windows 2000 was no longer supported, I moved to XP Pro. It has served me very well until I started playing with RAW files and Adobe Lightroom 3 about 3 months ago!

Being a computer geek at heart, I run a VERY TIGHT computer...I manually remove viruses when needed, even though I have a top-notch AV program, remove portions of Windows, module by module, from the registry as well as the hard drive, use channel and device separation for Windows work areas, etc. Bootup is under 40 seconds to show the fully populated desktop and 25-30 seconds to power off. So, yes, it's maxed out and tuned up as it gets.

The problem these days is do I buy more glass, a 5D mark iii, or blow perhaps $2500 or more not only upgrading the computer hardware and moving to Win 7, but replacing perhaps 15-20 application programs I use as they will not function under Win 7? Plan B, which is getting heaving consideration, is buy a new computer, just for photo processing, networking it with the other two I use for different purposes. But that's still a whole lot of money to spend when I'd rather buy some new L glass...

Unfortuntely, I have an even slower computer...by todays' standards. I used to build computers for friends and associates, so I always had to have the fastest box, maxed out. I finally gave up doing that about 10 years ago when my income dropped dramatically and so now, I am using a box I built 7-8 years ago with the then-fastest AMD processor made (Athlon, XP3200 with 512k L2 cache) with the best, most-reliable ASUS motherboard, and immediately maxed out the RAM to 3 gig. That was over $1000 worth of hardware back then. When Windows 2000 was no longer supported, I moved to XP Pro. It has served me very well until I started playing with RAW files and Adobe Lightroom 3 about 3 months ago!

Being a computer geek at heart, I run a VERY TIGHT computer...I manually remove viruses when needed, even though I have a top-notch AV program, remove portions of Windows, module by module, from the registry as well as the hard drive, use channel and device separation for Windows work areas, etc. Bootup is under 40 seconds to show the fully populated desktop and 25-30 seconds to power off. So, yes, it's maxed out and tuned up as it gets.

The problem these days is do I buy more glass, a 5D mark iii, or blow perhaps $2500 or more not only upgrading the computer hardware and moving to Win 7, but replacing perhaps 15-20 application programs I use as they will not function under Win 7? Plan B, which is getting heaving consideration, is buy a new computer, just for photo processing, networking it with the other two I use for different purposes. But that's still a whole lot of money to spend when I'd rather buy some new L glass...
Even a cheap Win7 machine from Walmart would kick your old PC's butt, especially once you max out the RAM in it, which would be a really inexpensive alternative. Then, run both, at least for awhile. Make the new machine your editing machine and slowly transition the rest of your stuff over as you feel comfortable doing that (programs you don't want to replace that (you say) won't run in Win7, for example).

That way, you still have money left over towards a camera/glass upgrade, and you're not stuck on an old machine that can't handle what you need today.

ETA: I too am something of a geek here, btw. I graduated with a 4.0 from a computer tech vocational school back in 93, taught a class in it for a semester right after that, and have built, upgraded, souped up and doctored my own machines ever since, right up until this latest one I'm running, which I had custom built for me to my specifications (which can currently best be described as OMFG-GTFO!!!). My most recent job description was "Field Engineering Technical Manager", which included being IT for the entire department, nation-wide. So, I know a little about what I'm talking about on this.
;)

Last edited:
I rolled back to lightroom 3.6 and my performance issues are solved.

Considering what LR4 brings to the table compared to LR3, I couldn't agree more. I use the LR4 features heavily.

Considering what LR4 brings to the table compared to LR3, I couldn't agree more. I use the LR4 features heavily.

I just made a huge investment by upgrading my camera last month. I wish I could upgrade my pc now, but I wont have extra cash for a while.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Speaking of what Lightroom 4 offers, the following article on Lightroom 4 on The Luminous Landscape has REALLY piqued my interest in upgrading from 3 to 4:Tonal Adjustments in the Age of Lightroom 4

This NEW, and AMAZING, level of tonal adjustments/shadow lifting, with almost real-time speed, and without halos...oh MAN!! THe new capabilities represent a very compelling and simply a HUGE feature of LR 4.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back