Re-entering the flash world

Rickbb

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
About to re-enter the world of flash photography. Won't leave my ambient shooting behind me, but the daughter wants me to start doing her family portrait stuff.

So have just received a Godox V860II N, (they were out of the III), and will be testing it out in the next couple of days.

Anyone with this, (or similar), unit have any tips, tricks and/or advise?

About to re-enter the world of flash photography. Won't leave my ambient shooting behind me, but the daughter wants me to start doing her family portrait stuff.

So have just received a Godox V860II N, (they were out of the III), and will be testing it out in the next couple of days.

Anyone with this, (or similar), unit have any tips, tricks and/or advise?
Hi, I have 2 of these Godox unites and as a pair they work very well if diffused through a white umbrella or bounced off a white wall or ceiling

The TTL is extremely good too - looking forward to seeing images in due course maybe?

Here's one of mine shot using 1x Godox V860ii through a diffuser a piece of tracing paper to be precise- just to soften it slightly- you can still make out the catchlight in her eyes though

Vs2UADx.jpg

Les :)

That's a nice shot. I did get one of those slip on diffusers, looks like a white sock.

Did some tests last night in the house and I like the way if softens up the harshness of a "bare" flash. But it does seem to warm up the color a bit. Not much but when comparing side by side you can see it.

That's a nice shot. I did get one of those slip on diffusers, looks like a white sock.

Did some tests last night in the house and I like the way if softens up the harshness of a "bare" flash. But it does seem to warm up the color a bit. Not much but when comparing side by side you can see it.
Have you tried bouncing the flash light on a white wall ? that gives some nice soft light or shoot through a white Umbrella like this shot of my wife's sister? Just to lift the subject slightly

o1Ft4sY.jpg

Les :)

Rick, when you start to control and make light with strobes you have control of all 4 characteristics of light, direction, diffusion, intensity including relative intensity or ratio, and color. The direction the main light falls on the subject determines the placement of form revealing shadows. For family shots of women and children, soft light, ie gradual shadow edge transitions is gentle and matches the subject/mood. The larger/closer to the subject the softer the light, ie gradual shadow edge transition. Look at the shadows on the ground when no clouds, rapid transition. With clouds, slow. The "harshness" you are seeing with a bare flash is probably the specularity of the light, tendency to produce hot spots on the subject. The solution, you can bounce as mentioned above but a better option is a something on the flash that makes it bigger. Less expensive, easier to set up is a brolly box, an umbrella you shoot into with a black back and a diffuser panel. Annie Leibovitz used them extensively. A 5 footer would be a good place to start. Then get it in as close as possible just out of frame. But remember, all a big soft light is do the same thing as a large window that is free. But a window isn't moveable so you move the subjects to place the shadows.

I have a few Godox TT600 speedlights, and I use them in 2 ways. On-camera, I typically look for a ceiling or wall to bounce off of. Off-camera, I put them into S-type Bowens mount brackets and just use them in various softboxes, zoomed to their widest spread. From there, they are no different from any other strobe, besides being a bit lower powered.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back