re: frozen film lifespan?

camperbc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've had a sizeable stash of film in my deep freeze (at about minus 20C) for several years, as I had regrettably allowed myself to get sucked right back into the digital world... but I really miss shooting film and want to get back at it; I have just about every type/size/speed imaginable in my freezer, all purchased (new and fresh) 6 or 7 years ago. I'm curious as to how long one can expect frozen film to remain "fresh"? So, what's the verdict? Should I expect some degradation after this length of time, or am I good to go?

If it isn't going to be as good as new, I would rather not use it at all, but instead purchase some new film, as I would hate to put a lot of time and effort into shooting with degraded film. Any insight you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

Films stored in a freezer at -18 deg C to -23 deg C should have a life of several decades since the low temperature effectively halts the ageing process. The film should be stored in it's original, unopened, foil or container. Before use, the film should be allowed to reach room temperature before the packaging is opened.

Multiple decades is the expected lifespan, IMHO.

I've shot film frozen for 25 years and it was not bad. A tad bit of base fog but was correctable in PS. Just make sure it is completely warmed up before you shoot.

OK, thanks guys, good to know. So if webestang64's film was still usable at 25 years, then mine at 7 years is quite likely as good as new.

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

Yep, should be good to go.
And as far as "expire" dates on the film box. The month film expires is the month you should shoot and process the film. At that point the films curve is optimal.

I was cleaning out a desk I hadn't used since 2003 and found several rolls of Velvia 50, Astia, and Provia. I just finished processing the Velvia and so far, it looks pretty good. It's still drying but some Provia I processed yesterday came out fine. A little higher base fog but not much.

This film was stored in a basement, not frozen or even refrigerated. I'd expect that frozen film would be in better shape.

I have a box of Kodak sheet film from 1985ish that still shoots just fine. A few years old shouldn't be a problem

If you or anyone is looking to unload some expired film let me know. I would be interested in some.

Sent from my SM-G920V using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

Back