The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I think the current practice of looking a thread because it is insulting or overly argumentative is not a good solution.
By locking it and leaving it in place, the insults and the bad behavior are left in place to do the same kind of damage they did before.

I suggest that the mods do one of two things:
1) chop the thread where it goes astray, before people start tossing crap, and then lock it. or
2) Delete the thread entirely.

Ignoring people who routinely behave badly and thus incite the back and forth that gets the thread locked means only that they have free run to be jerks just up to the edge and get away free.

The NY subway system scrubs the cars free of graffiti every night and thus there is less incentive to paint.

why not lock them but move them to a locked threads section which is also locked?

I am against thread deletion, history should remain intact and not be hidden.

I do try, where possible, to salvage a thread by corrective deletion of insulting posts. It's the preferred option, esp if the thread itself started with a more normal topic. However sometimes we don't get there till after things blow out of proportion and salvaging is beyond hope.

Is generally seen that threads should be moved to our dumpsite (for record keeping as opposed to dumping them totally). However this is often left to the mod who gets to the thread to decide upon. Sometimes open view is taken to show that we are paying attention as opposed to simply lock and hide which can sometimes leave the site feeling that we are not as active as we are. I tend to err on the side of showing rather than hiding myself, though sometimes a thread is simply full of targeted hate/aggression and those we don't keep shown.

As for back and forth members we do try and keep an eye on them. It's much harder when both members are generally in good standing or make regular good contributions to the site, and yet have a falling out with specific other members. We generally try to advise them to use the ignoring feature on the site or to avoid the other person. This can mean some situations drag out a bit as we try to get them to resolve the issue.

However if someone repeatedly causes problems we will remove them.

why not lock them but move them to a locked threads section which is also locked?

As I said we have a hidden section that members can't see that we use for such archival purposes when there are threads by regular members that cause strife but which are not spambot material (which we typically do delete on site).

:scratch:

That way people dont complain about losing posts...and the thread is no longer readable but not trashed. Idk just my opinion.

Edit: @ overread And i didnt know we had one lol i guess thats why im a TPF NOOB, ill shut up now lol -__-

I am a mod somewhere else and we had a long discussion about this, with at least one other mod feeling as you do.
One poster was routinely unpleasant and intentionally personally abusive and that started a large brouhaha.

The person being abused was insulted and hurt.
The person making the comments couldn't have cared less about the feelings of the person he had insulted.
We could see no reason to leave those kinds of statements that abused another member - there was no positive effect.
Leaving them in place was like leaving a stain on the wall.

On that specific example the thread was left in place so that it is seen that we don't condone the site turning into a hunt and insult atmosphere. On reflection you are right that the referenced image should have been removed totally and not just changed to a link (as per the rules) and as such it is now also removed (in both original and quoted post).

Keep in mind two things: Mods are volunteers, and they don't read each and every post.

Volunteers, meaning they're not 'on the clock' and it's not what they do to put food on the table. They don't usually have time to read every thread and every post, so sometimes things slip through without intervention. Next thing you know, you've got someone complaining about, "Well, how come so-and-so got away with it and my thread got locked/my post got deleted? You sure have some double-standard here!"

If no one reports a violation, it may well never get the attention of the Mod Squad. I know because I'm a mod on another forum.

I think the current practice of looking a thread because it is insulting or overly argumentative is not a good solution.
By locking it and leaving it in place, the insults and the bad behavior are left in place to do the same kind of damage they did before.

I suggest that the mods do one of two things:
1) chop the thread where it goes astray, before people start tossing crap, and then lock it. or
2) Delete the thread entirely.

Ignoring people who routinely behave badly and thus incite the back and forth that gets the thread locked means only that they have free run to be jerks just up to the edge and get away free.

The NY subway system scrubs the cars free of graffiti every night and thus there is less incentive to paint.

+1

I'll elabortate and I'll qualify. I used to Admin and currently am mod of a Sporting forum with over 100K members world wide. If a thread couldn't be cleaned up or kept on track, we delete it...well not delete but remove from public forum.. History? No, I disagree here with you friend. If a thread get's out of hand it should be moderated. If moderation fails it should be moved to the secret "locked and removed" section of this forum ;)

Users have too much liberty to bash here, sad but true. I hate CENSORSHIP, hate it with a passion BUT freedom of speech does not give one the right to slander and abuse.

How another forum is moderated has no bearing on how this forum is moderated.

I am a mod somewhere else and we had a long discussion about this, with at least one other mod feeling as you do.
One poster was routinely unpleasant and intentionally personally abusive and that started a large brouhaha.

The person being abused was insulted and hurt.
The person making the comments couldn't have cared less about the feelings of the person he had insulted.
We could see no reason to leave those kinds of statements that abused another member - there was no positive effect.
Leaving them in place was like leaving a stain on the wall.

Ah, but there are converse instances where one is repeatedly abusive and insulting, repeatedly getting threads closed, but then pretends to be so awesome and act soooo innocent. Others should be able to see the offensive actions, to understand why they eventually get banned. I can cite a specific cases, where the "innocent" person's instigative/insulting and unprovoked posts have all been removed, either individual posts, or entire threads. That is wrong.

I am not a golden child, and have posted my share of regretable things. But, I'll own up to my behaviour both good and bad.

My philosophy is that one "lives and dies" by their posts, and deleting posts or threads is an injustice to the community as a whole.

Most reactions

Back