re-shooting something for a client - do i charge?

de_tec_tive

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.witheverylight.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a new client and I just supplied them with the images, and they've come back saying they'd like two changes to how they were shot which were never mentioned before - they're watches and they want them set to a specific time, and in the box they're in they'd like the foam removed.

i'm not sure what the usual protocol is, as it's a new client and we agreed on a flat fee per image. with my other clients i work on an hourly rate and would bill them for this. should i be charging the full price to do it again? i can't afford to piss them off as i'm low on work at the moment :(

thanks very much

It depends, did you impress them with the first shots? How much work is involved with retaking the photo?
Honestly, thinking with a business perspective, they've seen how you shoot, and if they like they're going to go back with you because its a logical business option, I would definitely charge them again, but with also explaining, my time cost money and it was your fault to not say that they wanted it shot that way in the first place.

When not to charge for rework: When you didn't photograph what the client specified BEFORE the shoot.

When to charge for rework: When the client suddenly changes their mind on what they want or they failed to tell you important information BEFORE the shoot.

If you want to go easy on them you could offer them a discount on the reshoot.

Yes you should charge them for fixing their mistakes. Pretty easy to explain

"Dear so-and-so, Yes, I would be happy to reshoot these photographs for you. There will be a (prorated) charge for this service, since these details were not specified prior to the original shoot. I estimate that with transportation and the amount of time it will take to reshoot these two details, $__[some fraction of the cost of original shoot, roughly proportional to time spent doing this compared to original shooting time and transit]__ is a fair amount. Please let me know if this is acceptable, and we can arrange a date and time."

I have a new client and I just supplied them with the images, and they've come back saying they'd like two changes to how they were shot which were never mentioned before - they're watches and they want them set to a specific time, and in the box they're in they'd like the foam removed.

i'm not sure what the usual protocol is, as it's a new client and we agreed on a flat fee per image. with my other clients i work on an hourly rate and would bill them for this. should i be charging the full price to do it again? i can't afford to piss them off as i'm low on work at the moment :(

thanks very much

Did you photograph the watches reading 10:10?

I think you should have asked the client how they wanted the watch staged in the first place. When you say 'foam' in the box are you referring to packing foam? If so you should have known to take that out anyway. As for the time shown on the watch, 10 after 10 is pretty standard.

Chalk this up to lesson learned and graciously offer to do the reshoot at no cost, you'll have a much better chance at repeat business in the future.

Chalk this up to lesson learned and graciously offer to do the reshoot at no cost, you'll have a much better chance at repeat business in the future.

No, by all means this is poor business sense. You won't make money by babysitting other people and fixing their mistakes.

If there's no contract, or directions to follow, and they never articulated what they wanted to begin with, it's their dime, not yours. They can't suddenly know what they want after you shoot.

You delivered the product agreed upon and then they changed their minds, then it's a new shoot, charge them as if it were. (Just make sure to get the details on the contract).

10 after 10 is pretty standard.

:shock: Whoa. Why? I just Google Imaged a bunch of watches and more than 1/2 of them were set to 10:10...

10 after 10 is pretty standard.

:shock: Whoa. Why? I just Google Imaged a bunch of watches and more than 1/2 of them were set to 10:10...

Because usually 10:10 shows the entire watch and it's features without the hands obstructing the view of anything.

L. I. B. :lmao:
I can go to bed now, I've learned my new thing today. :D

Question: For someone who does product type shoots, should the contract include when a reshoot would be done and what the reshoot fee would be? I'm honestly just asking, because I don't know if that's typical with contracts, but it seems to me like it should be.

Because usually 10:10 shows the entire watch and it's features without the hands obstructing the view of anything.

Question: For someone who does product type shoots, should the contract include when a reshoot would be done and what the reshoot fee would be? I'm honestly just asking, because I don't know if that's typical with contracts, but it seems to me like it should be.

It could,if you want to be extremely thorough. But keep in mind the more that's in your contract, the more you are obligated to. If you asked this question to 5 different photographers, you're going to most likely get 5 different answers.

I probably wouldn't simply because that could carry the connotation that things might not be as they should after the first go.

Unless he advertised himself as some kind of expert watch photographer or something, he should not just be expected to know that 10:10 is a standard. Notice that like 2/3 of the people here didnt know that.

And I assume the foam is like nice fine black luxury goods foam with an indentation molded for the band. If so I would have assumed leaving it in too, similar to velvet behind jewelry. If it was foam packing peanuts then I doubt they would have re contacted him at all... cause that would be dumb

The 10:10 thing is pretty standard, like a few others said...

Since they are asking for a reshoot specifically because they don't like where the hands are, I'm kinda thinking that they weren't at 10:10, lol.

As far as whether to charge for a reshoot or not - IMO, if it's your fault, do it for free. If they're asking for additional things that weren't covered in the initial contract, bill them.

In this case, I would do it for free.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back