Re-spray for Pentax Q10 ?

Jud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, all.

I've just received one of these tiny things as a birthday gift, and though it pains me to say it (not to mention makes me sound like an ungrateful little toad) it's the model with the bright red body. I love it to bits; the way it feels in the palm of my hand, its looks... but I just know the red body is going to nag at me forever more.

So I'm here to ask if anyone has attempted such a re-spray, and/or if it's a service that's provided at any outlet. The second option isn't really viable in truth, as I don't have the funds to get it done by a pro, but am I kidding myself thinking I could do this to a satisfactory degree? The problem, of course, is all the little decals under the various buttons - trying to mask them or paint round them would be nigh on impossible.

I really need to get over myself and appreciate what I have, but I just thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Jud and welcome, good luck spraying your camera.......:)

Reactions: Jud
Welcome. Looks like a nice little camera.

I've never attempted it. It's most likely powder coated or baked on so as not to scratch easily. Even if you could remove or tape off labels, scuff the surface and paint it.....it would probably scratch or chip. Making it look worse. There's a chance you could find a dead one on Ebay and swap bodies......just an idea.

They make skins or cases for cameras. Did some Googling. Seems to be a bunch for the Q, but not for the Q10. Figures. Here's a few I did find. Won't cover the red completely, but doesn't harm the camera and gives it a vintage look. Both are foreign companies with a buzz on Pinterest, but I'm not joining to find out how to get them. You can google more if interested.

PENTAX Q10 専用ケース - ハクバ写真産業株式会社

USA free shipping MegaGear "Ever Ready" Black Leather Camera Case for New Pentax Q 02 and Pentax Q10 Cameras with 5 mm - 15 mm Lens | 11street Malaysia - Tripods & Monopods

Ebay has some listed, but they're like the bottom half of the Megagear. Just trying to help and give you some options. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'd just roll with it.
Yeah, this is the real answer, isn't it? In truth, the disappointment with the colour is fading steadily but definitely. In fact it's almost growing on me.

Ebay has some listed, but they're like the bottom half of the Megagear. Just trying to help and give you some options. Good luck.
Thank you very much for your homework - much appreciated. If I honestly can't live with it, this is by far the most realistic option. I'll be heading over to those links just as soon as I've posted this. I didn't even know camera skins were a thing.

[...] and people don't take you as a serious photographer when you do street photography.
NEX-3 with Canon LTM by Dennis, on Flickr
Not sure if this is good or bad :D

Try the red camera...people will look at it as if it's a toy, a non-threatening camera, allowing you to "fly under the radar".

If it bothers you so much, consider a wide-nib Magic Marker...blacken the whole camera. Then tape-mask certain areas, then spray it with a quality spray lacquer. Of course...you'll already have pre-tested the Magic Marker with your topcoat spray of choice, to make SURE there's no paint interactions. Seriously: paint interactions and certain plastics/polycarbonates can be VERY serious, and there can be melting/plasticizing of the plastic, or of the undercoat with the topcoat.

There are MULTIPLE high-quality Japanese camera painting firms. They will re-paint anything you want painted--Leica,Nikon,Canon,Pentax/.

Thank you, @Derrel - I will do some digging on these services, but I expect their fees are way beyond my budget. I did consider the magic marker route, but all the white decals (on/off, menu, model name etc) make the job nigh on impossible.

[...] and people don't take you as a serious photographer when you do street photography.
NEX-3 with Canon LTM by Dennis, on Flickr
Not sure if this is good or bad :D

I think it's good. You'll be able to get away with more situations if you just look like a tourist.
Yeah. Pretty much given up on the idea of respraying anyway. Not really viable (won't do a good job myself, can't afford to get it done by a pro).

It pains me less each time I look at it, so there's that.

You could always gaffer tape the whole thing...

(image from google search)
©2015 Tyler Vance-6-1.jpg

Color is a very personal thing.
Maybe you can ask the person who gave it to you, to help get it exchanged for a different color.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back