read error

jols

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hi there

a couple of times now i have been checking my pics on the camera and 'read error' comes up.

once i have lost all the pics and had to format the card and another time i lost just 6 pics out of 150.

any ideas what causes this?

Hi, I'm not an expert in this area, but I know at least one thing that can cause this. The most likely explanation is that the card was disconnected from something that was busy using it. If, for example, you unplugged the camera's usb cable from the computer without unmounting ("Safely remove hardware" is what Windows calls it) first. Another interruption would be if the card was loose or making bad contact so that the data had a problem.

There is also a small percentage failure rate in electronics, is the card new? Is the camera new? Is it SD or CF? Is the camera new? If nothing from the first page applies, you'll want to borrow a card that has proven itself, and if it happens with a fresh card, the card reader/writer on the camera might be the problem.

I've heard of almost all of the above scenarios, let me know if anything seems likely.

Usually the problem is pretty simple, but it stinks that you lost data :(

::edit:: okay, so maybe I have more than one idea!! :p ::/edit::
--az

its a sd card and worked well for 6 months.

failed twice with this read error sign.

i put it in laptop and looked at pics everything fine.

put back in camera and it said read error lost about 10 pics.

put back in laptop all pics there except the lost 10.

Use another card and if the problem still occurs then you have a problem with you camera. If it does not then you have a bad sector on sd card.

I found that I used to get read errors until I started routinely reformatting the card in the camera every time before I use them. If you delete odd frames, remember that .jpegs use up varying amounts of space depending on the picture taken, so not clearing a card completely leaves lots of odd sized gaps to be written into and not always a clean target for the next image.

Most reactions

Back