Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please no editing or reposting on this shot

Photo-journalistic shot (or attempt)

Of course this violates the no politics, no religion edicts, but seems like a good comment on the US today.

What do you think of the picture as posted?

12413-Flag_0622BeckyHouse_00128-Edit.jpg

Hmm, this one isn't working for me. The Folgers can keeps catching my eye.
I think you were close though. It would have been great to get the "God bless America" and the sign fully in there with a nice tight crop.

Hmm, this one isn't working for me. The Folgers can keeps catching my eye.
I think you were close though. It would have been great to get the "God bless America" and the sign fully in there with a nice tight crop.

That might be a table top.
Re:crop. I actually like the old buildings in the reflection.

Not sounding nasty here, but I actually think the reflection in window of buildings is the most interesting part of the shot..

I agree , about getting the entire banner in with God Bless America, thinking that would have made this a stronger shot... was this as wide as you could go from your POV ??

Thinking the banner/ mixed with Bible sign, and just the touch of an Americana neighborhood might have done it..

I think the techs on the photo itself are strong, just wishing it was a little wider angle..

Its another shot , that each time you look at, it grows on ya more , if that makes sense

If if weren't for your title, I'm pretty sure I would not have got point of the image at all. The message isn't obvious. The picture is way to busy for me. If I had looked enough at it, I probably would have noticed the sign/note, but there is little interesting the the picture to have kept my attention so that I could have noticed the sign/note. I agree with New England Moments that if you were to have a wider angle to include the whole poster on the right and the sign/note was a more obvious this photo would work.

OK, I guess the popular consensus is that this is a miss.
Too bad. I like it. (but little kids are proud of their poops)

Thanks for looking all.

I agree with some of what's been said, but I don't think it was a complete miss, and having a title is necessary sometimes to draw your viewers attention to your point, and you did well there. I would have liked to see the full text of G.B.Ameri... on the right in frame and in focus as well, and then with that wider frame crop out the top and bottom to keep the current POV just a bit wider.

I like it. The flag/statue next to the bible sign is an interesting statement about our country's attitude. I'm not a fan of the reflection off the glass on the left hand side. In fact, I almost might just crop it down to the flag and the sign.

OK, I guess the popular consensus is that this is a miss.
Too bad. I like it. (but little kids are proud of their poops)

Well if this is poop then I guess I quite like poop ;)

Personally I don't think it's a failing to not show the God Bless America sign... I mean, is anyone really in any doubt about what the sign says?

Oddly enough I quite like the reflection of the building and don't think it hurts, however for me it's the head that distracts.

I don't know how common signs like that are where you were shooting, but for me there's a little bit of added historical interest. That message (minus the 'please') was put up on the wall of the courthouse in the Scopes 'Monkey Trial'. That may be part of why I like it.

As a stand alone photo ... just misses the mark ... but in a collection/series of similar images I think it works well. (your poop doesn't smell)

Gary

PS- (hint for an entire gallery)
G

O.K, a lot of folks have said this, but crop the left of the shot, try darkening the area around the "please read your bible" sign, and slightly darken the "God bless America" poster. It alsom might benefit from further saturation.

i like the second one better, the reflection is nicer to me, its not as busy, and the going out of business sign plucks another heart string.

the second one may be too close for me, but maybe not, i don't know what was outside the frame.

On their own, I think the second example is more poignant, less busy, and more to the point.
The reflection in the second shot's window is more potent. The powerline, pole, and building silhouette gives the shot an industrial/ominous overtone. The B&W definitely lends itself to the success of the shot.

Bird poo on the window is a nice touch, too. ;)

I think you have the beginnings of a solid body of work, but in and of itself, I think the first photo is a dud.

Most reactions

Back