Reading between the lines around here

well seeing as there are some here who seem to be looking for people who honestly want crits and others who really want to be crited - maybe take a look here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122391

I must say I agree with The Travelers comments - all baring the first, I think it might work better if members just list out thier posts rather than post after post - might get less cluttered that way. Personally I don't think it matters which way people prefer provided that they can get crits.

As for the views said - I know well what its like when you are in awe of so many who are (in your view) so much better than you at photography - that don't mean that they think or consider themselves to be or that they don't like comments - even if they are repetative and if you are running out of words to say. Sometimes support is needed.

As for those who say that they don't like to comment for fear of being called out by members of the community I say that people should (respectfully) speak thier mind as and where they choose to, that is part of the freedom of forums. If you get a or certain members hounding you then firstly I would try pming and talking to them and see if its not just a conflict of views - if not then I would either ignor thier taunts or go to the mods - they are there for more than ad removal ;)

So this is where I am with my photo forum development: If I’ve had 30 – 100 looky-loos and 0 to 2 comments, even if they say, “my fave is #1”, or something similar…that’s a critique in itself. If I still don’t believe it got a fair assessment I may bump it, but for the most part, I know that something about the image failed the populace. If I like the image anyway, I can still hang it in my home or my studio and enjoy.
I posted these numbers as a way to help you realize the nature of the beast on this forum from the 'other' thread, so I'll copy it here again to reiterate....seems topical.

Of the last 18 posts that I originated, I received 131 replies out of 4,176 views. Of those 18 posts, only 7 hit double digit replies and if I had bothered to look further, the reason I had those 7 in double digits was probably because I bumped the thread or I replied multiple times to those that bothered to make a comment. If I let things like the number of views versus the number of replies bother me, I would have much more grey hair than I already have.

As another example, I posted one today that I was seriously wanting critique. Well, it quickly got buried to the bottom of page 2 and shortly would easily have made page 3 had I not replied to the one who commented. When I finally commented back to the one reponse, it had 31 looks. I also posted it when certain members were on-line in hopes that they may have a crack at. In my mind, it is a good photo, just wanted to know of anyway to improve. Yes, I'm anxious, but realistic.

What I'm saying is not tp feel like The Lone Ranger. It happens to everyone.

I wish I could PM certain respected and hand picked folks in this online community to pay special attention to the images I have posted and get a personal but serious critique from them.
Have you tried? Please don't assume someone will not help you if approached in a PM. You just don't know until you try.

My first impression is that number of views and comments is more a popularity contest than anything. If the poster is known to produce acceptable work, all of their fans pile on to give them a welcome. This is not necessarily a negative thing; there are those of us who are difficult by nature - and may have different styles of photos - who have few or no fans and thus get few or no responses.

My impression is that people who post pictures here fall into two general categories.
Category 1: those who get all moist and gushy when they get lots of attaboys and this is enough for them.

Category 2: those who want some serious responses.

While these two categories may not be mutually exclusive, it seems that the wrong kind of response is wasted on each of them. An entire string of attaboys to some who wants serious thought-out response leaves that poster frustrated.

A serious response, which may involve some negativity, to someone who just wants some fanny-pats is usually met with indifference - and sometimes hostility.

This problem is that this site has a great many posts - and only a small % are from people who want serious response - and an equal or smaller number of viewers who will or can give them. This was the reason behind starting the critique theme.

From a personal standpoint, I think that attaboys are a complete waste of time. I am just not interested in being part of any group fanny kissing.

I don't post pictures here any more but I do look for the new postings where I can possibly contribute something substantive.

My contribution has nothing to do with whether I like the picture or not, but only whether it seems to me that the OP might want to hear my opinions and whether I actually have anything to say about that picture.

So, for what it is worth, I encourage people to post a link on the 'critique' thread in the themes forum (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122391 ) or to PM directly any individual they want to hear from.

^^^Well, Traveler, good comment. You're on my short list to PM when I post an image again. Thanks for the offer. You too kundalini, don't be surprised to get a PM from me for some critique.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back