Reading EXIF data

OscarWilde

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering what programs will read ALL of the EXIF data; I know that some discard a bit of the "unimportant" data, so I was just wondering what you use.

Does PS do this? :s

Not that I had an answer anyway. But what do you want to achieve?

Just read it all from a given image?

Or establish a digital workflow where none of the EXIF data gets lost?

I usually encounter problems when editing EXIF data with different peices of software, which have incompatible definitions of "caption", "description", "title" and all that. Everyone seems to use it inconsistently.

As I am not an expert in these details of digital workflow, I am also curious for the answers ;)

I don't see an exif reader to 'discard' data. It may merely ignore what it doesn't understand.

They don't discard it, but some don't show all info. For example: If I upload a picture to flickr and view the exif without editing it at all it comes up with an enormous list of EXIF data; but if I run it through lightroom (even doing nothing to it) and upload it the list is only like 30% because lightroom doesn't "keep" all of the info.

What I'm mostly looking for is shutter actuation. It doesn't show in Opanda or on flickr. Do either of those other two options you gave show actuation sparky?

Or do you or anyone know what programs will?

.............What I'm mostly looking for is shutter actuation. It doesn't show in Opanda or on flickr. Do either of those other two options you gave show actuation sparky?

Opanda does, at least for Nikons. Can't say for any other brand.

What I'm mostly looking for is shutter actuation. It doesn't show in Opanda or on flickr.
It does for Nikon's, it's found in the Maker Notes, and it looks like this: (Use JPEG as the capture mode)
ScreenShot006.png

Must be a Nikon thing... (ps. I really like your red arrows KmH :lol:)

My Canon doesn't show shutter releases in oPanda :(

Canon Cameras
"It’s necessary to note that Canon doesn’t store the shutter actuation details in the EXIF data. So for Canon, things are a little different; the best program to check your shutter count is EOS Info.EOS Info is a neat little program by AstroJargon. It’s freeware, although they do ask for donations if you can spare it. It will provide the shutter count, the serial number, the camera model, the firmware version as well as the owner and date the results as well. EOSInfo works with almost any DSLR, excepting the 500D (may/may not work; their website says not, but it’s worth giving it a shot anyway). How does it work? Simply connect the camera to your computer using a cable, run the program and – voila! Your details are there for your examinations. Prepare to be surprised, though, as sometimes it’s more than you think! It’s not available for Macs, though, only for PC’s; however, EOSInfo is the updated version of the 40D Shutter Count a previous edition, which – despite the name – works on almost any DIGIC III/IV DSLRs, excepting the 1D series. It runs on Macs, using a cable as like EOS Info.

Read more: Finding Your Camera’s Current Shutter Actuations"

So apparently it is a Nikon thing; I'm looking in to EOS info now :)

Edit: Annnnnd apparently EOS info only works for certain Canon DSLR's... whatever; it isn't a big deal :)

This may help someone else with a Canon looking for the answer though :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back