Ready to buy, stuck between 6 cameras

hyg71886

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone. I am ready to buy my new camera today but am stuck between 6, the Finepix S8000FD and S9600; Panasonic DMC FZ18, Olympus SP-560UZ, or the Cannon Power Shot S3 (or S7) IS cameras. All of them are roughly in the same price range so thats not the issue. I want to be able to take shoots very far away or at very wide angels which all these allow. However, I know some probly take better shots, have better features then others. I like the panasonic alot because of the telephoto zoom as well as the others listed. Can anyone help on which one is the best buy?

lol.... stuck between 6 camera's..... thats not stuck.... when you whittle it down to 2 or 3 you can then be stuck....

Buy the fz18 with the leica lens.....

I haven't seen a bad review on it....

btw.... the FZ18 is $450 in Canada.... this is awfully close to a Nikon D40 kit... if you are considering your purchase to be a hobby you might want to jump right to DSLR instead of spending big bucks on a P&S....

Well I'm a journalist and want to take my own shoots and get good at it to start my on news site as well as work for a paper while attending school. And recreation of course.

what would a dslr do that i cant with the panasonic? Money isn't that big of an issue however I am buying the new LE PS3 MGS4 edition on the 12th:). But what would say one of panasonics or someone elses dslr offer that the fz18 doesn't? And being that I'm a beginner in photography, wouldnt it be better to get my feet wet with this for awhile(the fz18 I mean and upgrade later?)

Well I'm a journalist and want to take my own shoots and get good at it to start my on news site as well as work for a paper while attending school. And recreation of course.

errrr....... i dunno..... journalists often take lowlight pictures......

Might want to start looking at Nikon D40.... roughly the same price....

Yes
It definetly sounds like you would hugely benefit from a dslr. Look at the Nikon D40 of the Canon Xt, both bottom end dslr's but alot better compared to those
P&S cameras

what would a dslr do that i cant with the panasonic? Money isn't that big of an issue however I am buying the new LE PS3 MGS4 edition on the 12th:). But what would say one of panasonics or someone elses dslr offer that the fz18 doesn't? And being that I'm a beginner in photography, wouldnt it be better to get my feet wet with this for awhile(the fz18 I mean and upgrade later?)

uh... ya... that just answered it right there.... you should start looking at DSLR if your looking to get your feet wet....

It's always nice to have a little P&S around for light travel... but the P&S's you are looking at aren't little....

DSLR over P&S

-the ability to control your flash (bouncing, syncing, filling)
-the ability to take low light pictures (higher reliable ISO)
-the ability to create stories with your images using depth of field
-the ability to free yourself from shutter lag
-the ability to expand your hobby/work by adding on to the system

and more that I have most likely forgotten...

which would you say is better between the 2? Also, will I be able to get lenses to go to say a 400+ mm focal point and at about what price?

which would you say is better between the 2? Also, will I be able to get lenses to go to say a 400+ mm focal point and at about what price?

This is research you will have to do..... you will only get biased answers asking what system to use here...

Generally.. most of the smarter people on this forum use Nikon....:taped sh:...

400mm is a lot of focal length.... what are you planning on shooting??

Like a shot in the sky of birds, builds with the field of depth effect, ect. Also I am reading up on the Nikon D40x and I really like it, but do I have to purchase a flash seperatly?

Well check out the d40 instead of the d40x. Dont get me wrong, the d40x is great (i have one) but not worth the extra money. Also, many think the d40 is better due to the much faster sync speed (fastest shutter speed while using flash) and also the better noise handling.

Oh, and the built in flash is good but you will want to upgrade eventually. This is the nice thing about DSLR's. You can get the bottom of the line camera but you can always upgrade parts as you progress.

Hey everyone just got in from work, I called nikon and spoke with one of the reps for about an hr or so and there sending brochoures for the d40, d40x, and d60. Between the 3 which would you say is best. Those are the cameras i narrowed my choice down to.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back