Ready to Kill My Dog.

Your grandfather was right - I did learn that's for sure.

And yes, I'm confident it will be ok - I think it was just more of the shock finding the empty black soft-sided case on my hardwood floor then to peek in her bed and find...IT...the speedlight - could she have even picked my 600? Noooooooooooo it had to be my SB800!

I really have accepted it and tomorrow during the snow storm I will be staying in and doing some "clean up" work...lol. I'm supposed to go to day two of Nikon School but we have 5-10" of snow coming in tonight - It would be a sucky ride for me...I think I will make the call in the AM with regard to weather. Would any of you travel an hour in really crappy weather to learn about color? I think the instructors today were outstanding. I want to go, but I don't want to fight the weather...I'm so sick of it by now.

Thanks for listening to my *****!

Wow! How did she get out of her crate to get to your stuff while you were away? :mrgreen:

I have a 6 month old yellow Lab. We crate trained her from the day we brought her home. She loves her crate and goes in for bed at night and any time we leave the house without her. There are times she goes in just to take a nap. Other times, she seemed like she was restless and nervous and wouldn't calm down until I told her to "go to bed" and she promptly went to her crate and went to sleep.

Crate training is the key, is a godsend, and the dog will love it (once she gets use to it.)

meh, I didn't get a dog to have it around when I'm not there, and stuffed in a crate when I don't. But I think thats a different thread on a different forum :)

better the flash than your expensive d700

Absolutely.

Not that she could have gotten it if it had been home (but anyone who knows Bassets also knows they are clever big dogs on short legs) - but I am SO glad it was with me for school yesterday.

I have cats....there is no "Up and out of reach" with them, I just have to hope they survive the camera falling when they find camera straps or knock over a big lens.

Thankfully, it does not take too long to teach them the tables and desks are off limits, but there are occational rule breakings.

Wow! How did she get out of her crate to get to your stuff while you were away? :mrgreen:

I have a 6 month old yellow Lab. We crate trained her from the day we brought her home. She loves her crate and goes in for bed at night and any time we leave the house without her.

Yep.. I crate trained my Neapolitan Mastiff, and she goes in her create every time we leave..

Some dogs have separation anxiety, and my dog is one of them. Neos are known for this. When you leave and nobody is around, they are chewers, but when you're home they never even think about it. Putting them in their crate lets them relax because it's their safe place.

I think out husky has chewed her way through a few things - remotes, sizzer handles!, a few console cables (unpluged) and a few other things as well.
Worst she has done is got into chicken pens and killed the birds - - happened a few times now and we are mostly certain that things are safe now (she had to spend a few months inside only - let out only in the daytime and with supervsion until we built the fence up a lot!)
its definatly a stage of growth that feels a lot longer than it is - just remember that in a years time you will look back and laugh :)

Holy cow, that's really rough!! Obviously flashes are really tasty, what dog wouldn't want a chew....!

We too crate trained our dog and it was the best thing ever. She comes most places with us as we live in a pretty cruisey town but when we couldn't bring her we'd leave her in it with some toys. She's grand to be left out now but still chooses to sleep in there.

If crates aren't okay another really useful thing is to choose a "safe room" and baby gate her into that while you're away. Leave her with her bed, some water and some chew toys and she'll be grand. Just make sure there's nothing for her to hurt and nothing that can hurt her. Frozen stuffed Kongs are fantastic and Nylabones are great too.

Ok - this is just a vent and if there is a more appropriate place for this, by all means mods, please move it.

I went out to dinner tonight with some good friends - I've been in all week, thought I would treat myself to a night with the girls.

Back in October of last year, I rescued a one year old Basset Hound - she really is quite a nice dog and I already have an 8 year old Basset - so I'm familiar with the breed and their capabilities - so I know we are still in a puppy stage and that EVERYTHING needs to be out of her reach.

Believe me when I say my fireplace mantle looks like a garage sale - with remotes, magazines, Yankee candles, books, etc...

I came home tonight to find a pair of my slippers totally ripped apart - not acceptable but definitely my fault for leaving them out.

THEN I FOUND MY SB800 SPEEDLIGHT IN HER DOG BED - I almost threw up when I saw it. I had all of my equipment securely placed out of her reach (or so I thought) and there the flash was, with a cracked shield on the flash - other than that, it looked ok. I haven't tested it yet.

I feel ill and just had to vent - don't know if anyone here can relate - I love this dog dearly but tonight, she tested my limits.

As I type I am headed for a glass of cabernet.

I went to Nikon school today and was really happy with how the day went and that I learned so much...now this.

UFB.

Thanks for letting me vent - and yes it's ok to laugh!!! I had to or else I'd cry!

I would have come close, real close to ending a canine life :er:
Don't hesitate to send the flash to nikon for repair. I dropped my SB-800 once on concrete. I too about cried. Repair was done from my house to them and back in about 2 weeks or less. And it was alot cheaper than replacing the unit.
Sure, stuff is just stuff but anything with the word "Nikon" on it doesn't count as stuff.:lol:

reminds me of the time our dog decided to release a literal PILE of poop in a good pair of my shoes.....I think she was telling me that my being ill and not being able to take her on walks was unacceptable :confused:

she's still a member of the family, btw :wink:

I am just so glad that people can relate...I LOVE these two hounds of mine but my 8 year old has clearly outgrown a lot of what my year old puppy is going through now. It's all about patience I guess...that and keeping all of my equipment in a locked vault. It seems like we have lots of 'dog' people on these boards too - which I think is awesome.

But after I saw her maneuvers to get my flash and the house phone, she could probably unlock a vault too! That's a Basset Hound for you! :lmao:

And flashes and house phones and slippers later...I still can't imagine my life without them.

DWS - oh I can relate to that too! And I bet she is still a member of the family! If I had to bet, she was probably a great help/healer when you were ill too!

Holy cow, that's really rough!! Obviously flashes are really tasty, what dog wouldn't want a chew....!

We too crate trained our dog and it was the best thing ever. She comes most places with us as we live in a pretty cruisey town but when we couldn't bring her we'd leave her in it with some toys. She's grand to be left out now but still chooses to sleep in there.

If crates aren't okay another really useful thing is to choose a "safe room" and baby gate her into that while you're away. Leave her with her bed, some water and some chew toys and she'll be grand. Just make sure there's nothing for her to hurt and nothing that can hurt her. Frozen stuffed Kongs are fantastic and Nylabones are great too.

Who knew that SB800s came in beef and chicken flavor? I might try to gate off my kitchen - it might be the best thing - that way she'd still have room to get around, wouldn't feel too confined - and yes, she definitely likes the Kong toys although I've never frozen one - good idea. She loved ice cubes so I bet she would like that too!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back