Ready to upgrade!

Adadrian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys Almost a year ago I got my first “proper” camera a Nikon d3500
I’ve loved it it’s been a blast.
Anyway I’ve been having the itch to upgrade, and I’m not sure if I should upgrade to a better dslr or go mirrorless (As I heard mirrorless is the future and dslr s are on the way out)
And I’m not sure if I should stick with what I know “Nikon” or go for something like a cannon!

either way I’m upgrading!!!
So can you guys give any advice to sway me one way or the other ? Any opinions helpful as I can’t decide my self! Thank you

I guess the first questions are what do you like to shoot, portraits, landscapes etc and what's your budget?

Hey guys Almost a year ago I got my first “proper” camera a Nikon d3500
I’ve loved it it’s been a blast.
Anyway I’ve been having the itch to upgrade, and I’m not sure if I should upgrade to a better dslr or go mirrorless (As I heard mirrorless is the future and dslr s are on the way out)
And I’m not sure if I should stick with what I know “Nikon” or go for something like a cannon!

either way I’m upgrading!!!
So can you guys give any advice to sway me one way or the other ? Any opinions helpful as I can’t decide my self! Thank you
IMO mirrorless will not completely eliminate DSLRs. Your own photography pursuits will indicate what gear you need.

My recommendation is to upgrade from the entry level to the enthusiast level. Since you already have Nikon lenses, the move to another make doesn't make sense. Nikon has created some very fine lenses, so that is another avenue for building your kit.

Some years ago I moved into a D7100 and over time have purchased a dozen or so excellent lenses all used in very good condition. It's fun and rewarding.

I flipped from Pentax to Mirrorless , Olympus micro 4/3's.
It's expensive to flip over to another brand. I speak from experience.
Was it worth it? To me, yes. I have features that I have never seen before and super fast focusing.
Dual quad core image processors. Extremely fast computational processing. The ability to shoot high density 20.4 megapixel files, 50 Megapixel high density files and 80 megapixel files.
Silky smooth silent operation. Super fast auto focus. DSLR's are great, but Mirrorless, in my opinion blows the doors off DSLR.
Viewfinders : Electronic vs Optical - I had been shooting with an Optical view finder. I would take the electronic counterpart over optical 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.
If you're over exposed, you see it before firing the shot, if you're under exposed you see it before firing the shot.
Pro capture mode - This feature is nothing short of amazing. Hold the trigger half way down and the camera starts recording, once you fire the shot, you have just taken that frame and 30- 60 frames back in time in a split second. And what you can do with that, is nothing short of amazing.
Electronic shutter? Capture images up to 1/32,000 of a second. Four times what a typical DSLR can do. Most folks will never need a shutter speed that high. But it's there if you do.
And there are many other features. I am never going back to DSLR.............ever. People say, " never say never". I'll say it again, I am never going back to DSLR.
The silence and silky smooth operation alone was noticeable right off the bat. No mirror flopping around. Good for 400,000 shutter actuations, IF you use the mechanical shutter.

Other than that, in your case, the Nikon D500 would be a nice upgrade. The people who have them, love them.

Here is an example of an image I would not have gotten without a mirrorless, or at least the mirrorless camera that I chose.
Snakes don't put their tongues out and just leave them out for you to snap a shot. It happens super fast and you never know when.
I sat tried to a long time to get this shot, just shooting single frame. Then I went to a higher frame rate and my reaction time still wasn't fast enough.
Until finally, I says, well this isn't working and stuck the camera on pro capture mode, and when his tongue came out, I fired the shot.
I was still too late, but captured 60 frames back in time.

UfSreWj.jpg

Why does it have to be Nikon or Canon....?
It doesn’t necessarily, just the only cameras I have experience with

Adadrian, here's my advice. I went digital in 07 and have moved forward ever since.
Here's what I did and would do the same now.
I would buy a decent USED camera , and in saying that I would go with dslr. Yes ML is coming on strong but I personally feel it's just not there yet. There will be plenty of time to go ML in the future!
I'd go with Canon or Nikon, not because Sony and its' little ML brothers aren't good but because there is little to no used gear out there because they are too new!
Yes the ML boys are gonna go crazy now.
I chose Canon for many reasons over everything else and I'm glad to explain those reasons if you want to hear them. Good luck, It's a jungle out there!!! LoL
SS

I flipped from Pentax to Mirrorless , Olympus micro 4/3's.
It's expensive to flip over to another brand. I speak from experience.
Was it worth it? To me, yes. I have features that I have never seen before and super fast focusing.
Dual quad core image processors. Extremely fast computational processing. The ability to shoot high density 20.4 megapixel files, 50 Megapixel high density files and 80 megapixel files.
Silky smooth silent operation. Super fast auto focus. DSLR's are great, but Mirrorless, in my opinion blows the doors off DSLR.
Viewfinders : Electronic vs Optical - I had been shooting with an Optical view finder. I would take the electronic counterpart over optical 6 days a week and twice on Sunday.
If you're over exposed, you see it before firing the shot, if you're under exposed you see it before firing the shot.
Pro capture mode - This feature is nothing short of amazing. Hold the trigger half way down and the camera starts recording, once you fire the shot, you have just taken that frame and 30- 60 frames back in time in a split second. And what you can do with that, is nothing short of amazing.
Electronic shutter? Capture images up to 1/32,000 of a second. Four times what a typical DSLR can do. Most folks will never need a shutter speed that high. But it's there if you do.
And there are many other features. I am never going back to DSLR.............ever. People say, " never say never". I'll say it again, I am never going back to DSLR.
The silence and silky smooth operation alone was noticeable right off the bat. No mirror flopping around. Good for 400,000 shutter actuations, IF you use the mechanical shutter.

Other than that, in your case, the Nikon D500 would be a nice upgrade. The people who have them, love them.

Here is an example of an image I would not have gotten without a mirrorless, or at least the mirrorless camera that I chose.
Snakes don't put their tongues out and just leave them out for you to snap a shot. It happens super fast and you never know when.
I sat tried to a long time to get this shot, just shooting single frame. Then I went to a higher frame rate and my reaction time still wasn't fast enough.
Until finally, I says, well this isn't working and stuck the camera on pro capture mode, and when his tongue came out, I fired the shot.
I was still too late, but captured 60 frames back in time.

UfSreWj.jpg
Wait, what? 60fps back in time? Please tell me more

Yes back in time.
At half press, lock focus and the camera starts recording 60 frames per second, or 30, depending on how you set it. At half press with the focus locked, the camera starts to loop 60 frames per second. When you full press and fire the shutter, it captures that image and 60 more frames that happened in the past.
The subject sticks its tongue out, you fire the shutter, but you missed it.
The preceding 60 frames did not miss it.
Back in time.

Last edited:

That's a helluva upgrade!!! Bottom of the DX line to the absolute top! I was thinking a D7200 or D7500 would be a better choice, and more economical. D5X00 doesn't add enough over the D3500, while the D7X00 series starts into the "pro" level of features, with better AF, higher frame rates in continuous shooting, the ability to use legacy AF lenses (as opposed to AF-S,) and if it ever becomes important, CLS lighting control.

Yes back in time.
At half press, lock focus and the camera starts recording 60 frames per second, or 30, depending on how you set it. At half press with the focus locked, the camera starts to loop 60 frames per second. When you full press and fire the shutter, it captures that image and 60 more frames that happened in the past.
The subject sticks its tongue out, you fire the shutter, but you missed it.
The preceding 60 frames did not miss it.
Back in time.
And this is what Olympus camera? :0

That's a helluva upgrade!!! Bottom of the DX line to the absolute top! I was thinking a D7200 or D7500 would be a better choice, and more economical. D5X00 doesn't add enough over the D3500, while the D7X00 series starts into the "pro" level of features, with better AF, higher frame rates in continuous shooting, the ability to use legacy AF lenses (as opposed to AF-S,) and if it ever becomes important, CLS lighting control.
I have the D7500 and love it, if you only shoot wildlife, get the d500. But if you do a bit of everything like me, the D7500 is an excellent choice! And a major update from the D7100.

IMO, persue the mirrorless.
Now my logic here is my own and does not reflect others or even poss. reality in general.
:)
Nonetheless, using a mirrorless is the same as any SLR system with one REALLY huge exception.

You can mount nearly every older lens out there!

With proper adapter, any SLR Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Yashica, etc will fit.
Not to say that is your goal, but the versitility of a mirrorless is massive. It really is your call in the end and my original advice to all also applies.

Go toa camera store and LOOK and FEEL and MOLEST as many cameras as possible to see what fits and what works for YOU and YOU alone! Even if it is an SLR, or mirrorless, or whatever.
Go with what YOU want!

A big factor (to me) would be how much you have invested in your lenses.

Obviously, switching platforms -from Nikon to Cannon- would render all your current lenses useless. I have way too much to even consider a switch.

I have a D4 and love the high frame rate for nature shots especially birds.

But if I were starting over...I would go mirrorless.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back