Real Estate Photography - Achieving this Look

bluehabit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a link below to some example real estate photos with the "look" that I am trying to achieve. Does anyone know in general how shots like this are accomplished? It looks like these might be longer shutter speed shots mounted on a tripod letting in a lot of light and/or with an open aperture and wide angle lens.

Also does it looks like much post processing is being applied to these particular images using programs such as Photoshop or Lightroom?

Here is the link to some portfolio shots Shoot2Sell Portfolio | Dallas & San Antonio, Texas | Shoot2Sell

Thanks for the help in advance

Last edited:
Your images did not post correctly - please note that TPF does NOT permit the posting of images to which you do no hold rights. You may, if you wish, edit your post to include LINKS to example images.

You acheive this effect throug the following...

1. Proper exposure.
2. Off Camera Lighting.
3. Egregious and flagrant abuse of HDR.

Those pictures looked fine.

50% of them look fine. Many of them, IMHO are drastically overprocessed. Specifically 3, 4, 5, 7, 14, 15, and 19 being the worst offenders to my eye.

Again, My opinion. :)

Last edited:
They're decent, but not great. Most had spurious reflections, improper window exposure, and other basic issues that someone tried to overcome (unsucessfully) with post-processing. Other than cropping and perspective correction, there should virtually no post work needed on images of this type if they're done correctly.

They're decent, but not great. Most had spurious reflections, improper window exposure, and other basic issues that someone tried to overcome (unsucessfully) with post-processing. Other than cropping and perspective correction, there should virtually no post work needed on images of this type if they're done correctly.

Yes that would be my goal as well, get the shots without having to rely on post too much as a crutch, if at all. So with that being said, how do I correctly take these sort of shots? Would you even use an HDR setup for these kind of shots?

I wouldn't use HDR except in extreme cases, however that's a personal choice. My technique for this sort of work is simple. I start by taking an ambient-light test image, and based on that decide where I'm going to put my lights to get the desired exposure. Generally I prefer to drop speedlights here and there (gelled to match ambient), but sometimes for large rooms I'll bring in monolights. Once things are set up, I'll do another shot to confirm/tweak individual outputs, and then shoot the scene and move on.

Looks like alot of the earlier photos were taken at evening/night so longer exposures were used with creative use of light.

Apart from exposure, HDR, and heavy processing comments (all of which I'd agree with), the images are mostly shot using moderately wide to very wide focal lengths. This tends to "stretch" the depth of a scene. When done subtly the room will seem larger but the not "obviously" stretched. When done not-so-subtly (the bowling alley shot) the scene is highly stretched to the point that moderately distant objects will seem to be extremely far away.

When you use wide lenses, the camera needs to be "level" (nose-to-tail) or the vertical lines in real life will seem to lean in or lean out. "Verticals" need to remain vertical -- this means a camera tripod is in order when using the wide lenses to avoid the camera lens angling slight down or up (you can fix this in photoshop but it does mean sacrificing a bit of the image to do it.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back