Real Estate Photography | Ballenger Photography (Round 2)

jamesbjenkins

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.ballengerphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

Some of you may have seen my previous thread in this sub-forum posted back in May. That was my first time shooting real estate, and it went pretty well for a first shot. Since then, I've spent a few dozen hours reading articles and practicing techniques. Also, I've picked up a D3 and the legendary 14-24mm.

I'd appreciate C&C here, as although these are technically "professionally shot" as it was a paid gig, I have shot exactly two properties so far.

So, how did I do?

Curb appeal:

Driveway (HDR):

Driveway (layers masked together):

Front view of kitchen:

Back view of kitchen:

Great room:

Master bedroom:

Double tray ceiling (The builder's very proud of this feature):

---

So, I know there's some issues with consistent white balance. There was some very difficult lighting that I'm still trying to work through. Hopefully, you guys see improvement from my last real estate set.

Thanks!

the exterior photo look like computer generated.

I dont have experience with real estate but if I were to do one, I would do it when the sun is really low just like an outdoor portrait session and not use HDR.

^What Robin said... or a lot less tone-mapping. It is possible to do HDR with just exposure fusion.. no tone mapping!

Doesnt matter though... the house is not furnished. Doesn't matter what you do... it wont be that great.. Maybe the exterior can be.

cgipson1 said:
^What Robin said... or a lot less tone-mapping. It is possible to do HDR with just exposure fusion.. no tone mapping!

I tried exposure fusion on several images. Everything was just so dark and drab, or totally blown. I've got a lot to learn about Photomatix I guess.

Really wish I could have shot around 7pm instead of 3pm.

Other than the points that Robin and Charlie have made, the one thing that stands out for me is the perspective distortion in the two kitchen shots. It's freakin' HORRIBLE! The sink and grill-top both appear to have been twisted into a parallelogram, and seem to be leaning significantly.

Robin's suggestion for the PC-E lens is an excellent one.

oddly enough, real estate agents and builders tend to never care about perspective distortion. They do care about white balance, a lot. The paint needs to basically be exactly the right color or they can get annoyed. That' my experience at least. It's one of those things where you just have to use a grey card.

oddly enough, real estate agents and builders tend to never care about perspective distortion. They do care about white balance, a lot. The paint needs to basically be exactly the right color or they can get annoyed. That' my experience at least. It's one of those things where you just have to use a grey card.

I'm guessing that the reason they don't seem to care about distortion is because they haven't seen photographs made with a view camera. Or they don't perceive the need for it.

At least with the paint color they have something to compare it with.

James;

#1 too much sky makes the house look small. The minimal landscaping hardly enhances the curb appeal, but it's not your call.
#2 far too much distortion and not a good angle (doesn't do the house any favors)
#3 distortion and too much in the shot (the other room)
#4 distortion and background
#5, 6, 7, & 8; distortion is still distracting

The house ought to have been staged, but since it was not, oh well.

Designer, be specific on the distortion.

On the exterior shots, I corrected the keystone, but I didn't see a lot of other distortion.

Tirediron, how can I correct the perspective distortion without ruining other areas?

I saw the issues with the sink and stovetop, but couldn't figure out how to fix them.

As far as white balance, I used a gray card for most of the shots, and on the exterior ones I warmed it up a bit.

I appreciate the feedback guys, really. I want to get develop this into a regular, high-quality offering. Your time is appreciated.

Designer, be specific on the distortion.

On the exterior shots, I corrected the keystone, but I didn't see a lot of other distortion.

Tirediron, how can I correct the perspective distortion without ruining other areas?

I saw the issues with the sink and stovetop, but couldn't figure out how to fix them.

As far as white balance, I used a gray card for most of the shots, and on the exterior ones I warmed it up a bit.

I appreciate the feedback guys, really. I want to get develop this into a regular, high-quality offering. Your time is appreciated.

Really the only thing you can do is just be extremely careful how you frame your shots. That much perspective distortion can't be adequately fixed without drastically cutting the image down in photoshop. And even with it fixed in photoshop, it still looks off. I try to consciously avoid using the wider ends of my UWA if something is going to be close around the edges of the frame.

Also there are some spots on the top of the 'pass through' area in picture 4 that need to be fixed. just to the right of where the fan is in the image.

Makes sense. This is only the third time I've shot the 14-24 in the field, other than practice.

I got the spots. Pesky D3 needs cleaning a lot more than the D700...

this image for example. Do you think you accomplish a lot doing HDR/tonemapping? Is it necessary to show the neighbor house with truck and portable toilet outside? I felt like I would just shoot it with 1 exposure and get blown out window.
Liebrum-130-Wolf-Creek-3-L.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back