Real estate photography help

shoot wide, correct in post if need be. make sure you edit out or remove cords, cables, outlets. . . dont worry about blowing out the windows. Nothing wrong with it unless there is something outside the window that needs to be seen or you can take multiple exposures and composite in post. Use f/16, f/20, f/22 (whatever your lens is capable of) Dont be afraid to move things in the room around or add stuff to it. Turn books around so you see the pages and not the spines, bring in plants if you can, make sure things are dusted and clean, if you are shooting the outside wait till about 20-30 minutes after the sunsets or 20-30 minutes before the sun rises to get the blue hour photos. Have the lights on outside and in the house for this. Itll be about a 30 second exposure at f/22 100ISO so use a tripod and cable release or set the timer. Use mirror luck up mode if you can. Theres a lot to real estate photography. Well, GOOD real estate photography.

Just do what you can and Im sure they will be more than happy with what you get

That's one I haven't seen .. or looked for. Nice idea. Some of those Den shots with tons of books is just a dark spined photo. Turning them around would lighten it up alot.

shoot wide, correct in post if need be. make sure you edit out or remove cords, cables, outlets. . . dont worry about blowing out the windows. Nothing wrong with it unless there is something outside the window that needs to be seen or you can take multiple exposures and composite in post. Use f/16, f/20, f/22 (whatever your lens is capable of) Dont be afraid to move things in the room around or add stuff to it. Turn books around so you see the pages and not the spines, bring in plants if you can, make sure things are dusted and clean, if you are shooting the outside wait till about 20-30 minutes after the sunsets or 20-30 minutes before the sun rises to get the blue hour photos. Have the lights on outside and in the house for this. Itll be about a 30 second exposure at f/22 100ISO so use a tripod and cable release or set the timer. Use mirror luck up mode if you can. Theres a lot to real estate photography. Well, GOOD real estate photography.

Just do what you can and Im sure they will be more than happy with what you get

That's one I haven't seen .. or looked for. Nice idea. Some of those Den shots with tons of books is just a dark spined photo. Turning them around would lighten it up alot.

I shot a library and refused to turn the books around haha. There were so many knick knacks and junk there was no way I was going to take the time to do it. If I could get it to look right I would have gotten rid of the black speaker in the ceiling and warmed up the window light but my PP is not very good.

Untitled by Shutter_Inc., on Flickr

Also to the OP, if you can shoot some detail shots as well to accompany the wider shots itll help. There is a trick to pillows on sofas to where you karate shop them on the top middle.

Soulfulrecover,

If shooting real estate you can take out cords and such because they don't go with the house BUT the speaker in the ceiling would stay so should also stay in the picture.
I like the portrait pano, that would be great if your software can do it. Also, I've seen a lot of people expose a shot for the view through the windows and one or more shots for the inside and then stack them.
Like so many tasks in photography you can do an acceptable to some job with just some tips and basic equipment BUT to do a fantastic job it takes skill, experience and the right tools.

Denny

Most reactions

Back