Real Estate Photography

Dominantly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So as a potential home buyer, I get the joy of perusing through numerous photos of properties I am interested in, only to find them seriously lacking.
I cant tell you how many closeups of some kids dresser I have seen, or that infamous shot of just the toilet in the bathroom:grumpy:...

Which leads me to my next thought, I think there might be a market for a simple photo package priced right, offered to agents and sellers.

I'm gonna look into it a bit more and see what the deal is with it. Could be fun!

I'm gonna look into it a bit more and see what the deal is with it. Could be fun!

There is a market for more expensive homes... but most realtors will not spend the money.

Real Estate. Hardly any topic get my blood boiling faster.

99% of real estate photos are stone cold terrible. Don't get me started on the agents, themselves. Given the amount of money involved, that's surprising, so you'd think that there would be a market. But Rosshole is right; most agents won't spend the money.

The big service in my area is something called Mouse on House, which is a proctoscopic-quality exam of the property in question. 360 degree photos are linked together and placed over a drawing of the layout of the house so the buyer can see where each was taken. The service costs $325 or so.

Personally, I think it's a lousy way to list a house. It's like having a CAT SCAN for a Facebook photo.

Yeah, I think I am actually just going to approach my Realtor about it, and see what she has to say. She actually has her own company, so maybe I can get a foot in the door that way. I mean if I start real cheap with "portfolio pricing", I can maybe work my way up.
Just seems like a market that needs it, they just dont know it.

I had the same thought when I was house hunting. The bulk of the realtors just use a Point and shoot camera and figure "that's good enough". In today's market the profit margin is getting more and more narrow and most, I think, believe it's not worth the cost. As previous posters have said, unless it's a really high end market, you probably aren't going to get much response. On the other hand, you might find some realtors say "why not" if the price is right and they're not moving any houses. I think the best approach is to do a side x side comparison. Find some houses that are on the market and take your own pics, then give them to them and say, this is what you did and this is what I can do for x% on each house I shoot. just my .02

Did the wrong click....Oh well.

In eastern Canada the real estate photography tends to be pretty good. Usually done with a tripod, DSLR, and a 10mm to 20mm wide angle lens. The choice of angle makes it a room photo rather than a furniture photo too. Any house over 500K is generally done this way. Virtual tours and panoramas that you can move through in different directions are common. The better ones allow you to zoom in on certain areas.

The difference is that there are still a few realtors trying to use their own compact cameras who don't know enough about photography.

skieur

Most reactions

Back