real life for some... not for the fainthearted

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really have no idea where to post this... so please, just move it if this isn't appropriate place.

Ok, so....
I work as a project manager in a municipal institution and have a master degree in engineering management. I'm involved in all kinds of projects, infrastructural, agricultural, educational etc.
And also I live in a country that suffered from a war which is ended in December 1995.

So now you know everything. And now I feel so odd :blushing:

These days I was trying to find international organizations I can apply some project proposals to. Projects will be all humanitarian, about people and children who don't have basic conditions to live, don't have enough food on the table to feed their children and don't have proper clothes for them to wear. Some of them even don't have a bathroom.
I will be writing a few of project proposals in order to try to help them. My main focus will be getting the food, clothes, school supplies, and maybe helping to build a home for some...
There is going to be a lot of paper work and writing involved in the next period for me, but I'm doing this with my heart and soul so it wont be that hard.

Along with paper documentation, the writing, describing and begging, I'll be visiting some families and older people to document the state of their homes and their lives. These photographs will be in project proposals. ( it is interesting that no one on my work, including my boss (mayor of municipality) is aware of my love to photography :))
The photography part starts next week. I will also bring my laptop to work to import and edit photos on it because this computer on my work is a crappy one. Tomorrow I'll be making plans and organizing where to go.

I will be posting some photos here and hope to hear honest opinions from you. If I make some radical mistakes in the first visit your pointers will help me to not make them on the next visit.

My main concern is that I wont be able to make an impact with photographs, to evoke the truth about their lives. No matter how good project proposal I write and how hard I try to describe their lives, a photograph will tell more.
Hope you'l help me during this period!

Do you have any suggestion prior my first visit? Something to think and consider about shooting in that environment?

Do you think that my oly e520 and 12-60mm f2.8/4 lens (2x crop factor) is good enough? It has some serious problem with noise and some serious lack of iso capabilities. At 400 iso it shows noise and its max is 1600. but then for this type of photos noise isn't that much of a problem.
So pro, no pro be an :bigangel: and help me!

Last edited:
The camera & lens are fine! You might want to invest in a speedlight if you don't already have one, but that focal length will give you a lot of flexibility.

tirediron, thanks for reply!
I know this is not particularly appealing theme and people usually want to listen all good and happy things, who doesn't actually? I understand.
Thing is that I'm really scared that I'm not up to it. Either way, good or really bad photos, they will appear in a project proposal.
Hope you'll guys help me when I post them.

I personally think a little noise in the sort of images your planning on taking will help give a little more impact to the images. But as tirediron said a speed light would be of use.

For the past seven years, I have done work for a non-profit that works directly in this niche.
I would be very careful to provide model releases that spell out exactly what and where these pictures will be seen.
Many of our clients are rightfully sensitive and do not want photos of them or their home seen publicly.

We make it really clear the limited exposure they will get. and they are required to initial every paragraph in the agreement as I go over it.
I initial my copy as I sign I've read it, sign it, they do the same and we exchange copies.

If you intend to post images here, I suggest you consider blurring any faces.

Last edited:
I personally think a little noise in the sort of images your planning on taking will help give a little more impact to the images.
I'm counting on it :) problems will occur when I enter into their homes. My camera is almost incapable for taking the shots indoors. I'll try my best, so we'll see

For the past seven years, I have done work for a non-profit that works directly in this niche.
I would be very careful to provide model releases that spell out exactly what and where these pictures will be seen.
Many of our clients are rightfully sensitive and do not want photos of them or their home seen publicly.
We make it really clear the limited exposure they will get. and they are required to initial every paragraph in the agreement as I go over it.
I initial my copy as I sign I've read it, sign it, they do the same and we exchange copies.
If you intend to post images here, I suggest you consider blurring any faces.

I think that it wouldn't be a problem for this people to sign the release for their photos, for almost any cause and purpose. They're so ignored by the state, the government, and everybody that they wont even care about where their faces and homes will be seen. On contrary, they would be glad to know that someone will see in what conditions they live in.

Posting your images here at TPF would be an editorial use. Model releases and blurring of faces are rarely needed for editorial usage.

Please post images in this section of the TPF forums - Photo Galleries - Photos submitted by members for general display or critique.

If you would like to be better informed regarding the ins-ans-outs of model/property release considerations, I highly recommend - A Digital Photographer's Guide to Model Releases: Making the Best Business Decisions with Your Photos of People, Places and Things
Be aware that release law varies by state, your profile doesn't provide that information, and a 30 minute consultation with a qualified attorney doesn't usually cost much.

Most laptop displays make pretty poor devices for image editing. A good, external, regularly calibrated IPS display that is plugged into the laptop is usually preferable.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Posting your images here at TPF would be an editorial use. Model releases and blurring of faces are rarely needed for editorial usage.
I'll include editorial usage in the contract

Please post images in this section of the TPF forums - Photo Galleries - Photos submitted by members for general display or critique.
no problem

If you would like to be better informed regarding the ins-ans-outs of model/property release considerations, I highly recommend - A Digital Photographer's Guide to Model Releases: Making the Best Business Decisions with Your Photos of People, Places and Things
Be aware that release law varies by state, your profile doesn't provide that information, and a 30 minute consultation with a qualified attorney doesn't usually cost much.
Actually, believe me or not, there are no laws in my country that regulates photography usage. Basically, who take the photo is one that owns that photo regardless whose face is on it. There are model releases but for professional photographers working with model agencies, and they allow photo usage for anything. There are some complicated laws for author rights but nothing much restraining.

Most laptop displays make pretty poor devices for image editing. A good, external, regularly calibrated IPS display that is plugged into the laptop is usually preferable.
I am aware of that but my mayor refuse to buy me new computer and my "at work monitor" is really really bad, and of course no one will give me theirs :er: so that leaves me with one and only option, my home laptop (HP Pavilion g7-1150us Notebook PC) ... at least my laptop will be calibrated tomorrow...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back