"Real" Photo Booth Question?

dpolston

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have no idea how to start this question or where to put it... so I'll wing it.

I want to build a "classic photo booth" like you have seen in the malls but I don't know where to buy the guts for it. I'm sure it's a simple camera, and printer setup but I'm not sure how to go about it. Any thoughts? I don't need the plans necessarily (professionally I am a carpenter and have been a theater scenic designer and builder, so I have that part covered) but will check them out if I can find them.

Thanks

you'll need the software to control the camera, the console to do it with, a display (perhaps touchscreen), a printer, and....some place to take the money.
I dono what else...but it seems like a lot of work.

It's for personal use... not for the money. I got the idea from Dave Navarro (and later Kat Von D of L.A. Ink fame). I am creative enough with my hands to pull it off, I just need the project to take off. They bought theirs, I am hoping to build mine.

I would think that you could utilize an old computer, and with a cheap digi cam/web cam and printer, somone could write a small application to interface with them automatically.

I however am not that person, but I'm sure that someone on this forum has the skills.

Are the original ones some sort of Polaroid setup? I've always wondered how they work. Maybe the Photographer Formerly Known as Hertz knows.

Ohhh just for fun.

Well then, just get a cheap old computer..(there's a laptop on tigerdirect.ca for 299 right now if you're interested...just putting it out there)
Then you find an old camera that can be shot tethered...and then a photo printer of the quality of your choice. tada.

Kinda ghetto, but I don't know how far you wanna get into it.

There was a segment on Discovery Channel's "How It's Made" program that showed exactly how this is done. There is a digital camera, computer, monitor and printer inside. The software in the computer allows adjustments to the camera position and adjustments to the photo aswell through touch screen technology. Adjusting the camera for position for person size. Adjustment of the photo for border selection, photo size, number of photos per page and price. There is also a coin mechinism. I did a search for the episode that I saw and came up with nothing. The Discovery Channel is where I saw the program but The Science Channel is where it originated. Maybe the Discovery Channel is showing older episodes. Good Luck

you could have a mechanical joystick or lever that will move the camera up or down on a bracket, much like shifter linkage.

(ooh ooh a tripod head)

Doug... dude! "How it's made" did it? I am addicted to that show. I'll have to research it.

I'm kinda looking for one already built to rip the guts out of and make it more classic. The ones now have a modern arcade look. I don't really want to buy a new one for parts. (I think I need to just call a manufacturer of one of these things).

My family is kind-of addicted to these things. We have photo booth photos all over the place. Our current record is 4 adults, 3 teens and a child in one booth (and in the same shot - although in one of the photos all you see of one of us is a tongue!).

Ohhh just for fun.

Well then, just get a cheap old computer..(there's a laptop on tigerdirect.ca for 299 right now if you're interested...just putting it out there)
Then you find an old camera that can be shot tethered...and then a photo printer of the quality of your choice. tada.

Kinda ghetto, but I don't know how far you wanna get into it.

I am definitely thinking webcam but the little printer messes me up. I was thinking a label printer but the software to print the 4 pic (or 8 pic) row is hanging me up. It's the sequential photo thing; pose, flash, pose again... etc.

I find your idea interesting. I came across this software doing a google search, may want to check it out.

http://photoboof.com/

EDIT: However I just noticed the software costs $600 for a licensed copy...

Brilliant idea. I think photo booths use Poloaroid passport cameras, which can vary greatly in price. Personally I would leave digi out of the picture.

Love & Bass

Why is that? Because of quality? Or the logistics of setting up the electronics?

Mostly because of the logistics of setting up the electronics. Those Polaroids are work horses. Then again it sounds like DPoston is pretty handy. Where there's a will there's away.

Love & Bass

When I was at College (late 70's) a student in the year above me built a 'photo booth'. Only he made it out of cardboard and hid inside it with a polaroid.
The pictures he took had to be seen to be believed :lol:

Most reactions

Back