Real world experience with the Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8D ED AF?

Dinardy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lately... while out and about in the wilderness I find myself wanting a telephoto zoom, all the little critters and birds are always out of my reach. I want a rugged piece and I think this old Nikkor fits the bill. Although most research has led to the conclusion that there are some serious issues with the AF/MF system, aside from that I have heard this piece is quite the bargain. I like the price range of $600-$800 US and want to stick to that.

Whats your take on the lens? How long have you had it? What do you like/don't like about it? I have researched other forums, but would like to get advice from my TPF members.

Thanks!
Andy :mrgreen:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It's a great lens. Like anything in photography, you get what you pay for, and small increases in performance translate to big increases in dollars... there are better lenses, such as the 70-200 2.8 VR2, but at 3x the price? It's not 3x the lens.

I have used both extensively and I had the money so I went with the better one and I'm very glad it did. It's superior in almost every way, but trust me, even having the money I ground my teeth over that decision for a loooooooong time.

It's an awesome lens. I'm thinking about picking up another one. But for birds and little animals, it's kind of short.

It's a great lens. Like anything in photography, you get what you pay for, and small increases in performance translate to big increases in dollars... there are better lenses, such as the 70-200 2.8 VR2, but at 3x the price? It's not 3x the lens.

I have used both extensively and I had the money so I went with the better one and I'm very glad it did. It's superior in almost every way, but trust me, even having the money I ground my teeth over that decision for a loooooooong time.

Thanks, I know I'll miss the VR, but I don't see myself... well I don't see my wife letting me spend that much on glass quite yet. I have a long way to go until I could justify that to her, lol

I'm pretty set on picking up a used unit, just waiting for the right one to come along.

It's an awesome lens. I'm thinking about picking up another one. But for birds and little animals, it's kind of short.

I know its a bit short, but I figured my crop sensor gave me a slight advantage. I haven't heard fantastic things about the teleconverters, but I know I will probably end up getting one.

Check out my signature. I wouldn't trade it for the world!!!
Got mine used with warranty for like $650.00, two ring.
I don't need VR anyway, so I'm a happy camper.

I don't have that particular lens but have another up to the 200 mm focal length and find it much too short for shooting birds or other small to middle sized animals. In my opinion 300 would be the minimum focal length for birds and wildlife, while 400 or even 500 would be ideal.

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF D-series lenses are not the most telephoto converter-friendly designs! Nikon does not in fact make ANY autofocusing teleconverters for their 80-200 f/2.8 D-series lenses...the only thing they have are older, manual focus TC units that were designed back in the 1980's. The Nikon AF-S style 1.4x, 1.7x and 2x autofocus converters are NOT compatible with the 80-200 AF-D lenses; if you want an AF converter for those lenses, you will need to buy a third-party converter, like one of the Kenko brand autofocusing TC units.

The rear element group of the 80-200 D-series lenses is very far toward the back end of the lenses; the AF-S converters have front elements that are very CLOSE to the front of the converter; so, even after filing off the non-AF-S "mounting prevention tab"* Nikon has designed as part of all the AF-S TC units, the AF-S converters can cause what's called "crash and bash" if mounted on a NON-appropriate Nikkor lens (or Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina lens for that matter).

If you really want to use a good, AF-S teleconverter from Nikon, then the 80-200/2.8 AF-S,and the two 70-200 VR-G versions are the best choices.

RE: mounting prevention tab"* This small tab is designed to prevent the AF-S teleconverters from physically mounting to NON-AF-S lenses, many of which can physically damage either the lens, or the teleconverter's elements, or both. THere are web-based DIY tutorials on how to disassemble the TC's mount and then file or mill off the safety tab. Use at your own risk.

Well could add a teleconverter. Nikon's of course are not backward compatible.
But had a tamron 1.4x which gave me 280mm f4 for those little birdies and things.

Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 AF D-series lenses are not the most telephoto converter-friendly designs! Nikon does not in fact make ANY autofocusing teleconverters for their 80-200 f/2.8 D-series lenses...the only thing they have are older, manual focus TC units that were designed back in the 1980's. The Nikon AF-S style 1.4x, 1.7x and 2x autofocus converters are NOT compatible with the 80-200 AF-D lenses; if you want an AF converter for those lenses, you will need to buy a third-party converter, like one of the Kenko brand autofocusing TC units.

The rear element group of the 80-200 D-series lenses is very far toward the back end of the lenses; the AF-S converters have front elements that are very CLOSE to the front of the converter; so, even after filing off the non-AF-S "mounting prevention tab"* Nikon has designed as part of all the AF-S TC units, the AF-S converters can cause what's called "crash and bash" if mounted on a NON-appropriate Nikkor lens (or Sigma, Tamron, or Tokina lens for that matter).

If you really want to use a good, AF-S teleconverter from Nikon, then the 80-200/2.8 AF-S,and the two 70-200 VR-G versions are the best choices.

RE: mounting prevention tab"* This small tab is designed to prevent the AF-S teleconverters from physically mounting to NON-AF-S lenses, many of which can physically damage either the lens, or the teleconverter's elements, or both. THere are web-based DIY tutorials on how to disassemble the TC's mount and then file or mill off the safety tab. Use at your own risk.

Thank you for that in depth look Derrel, I would probably opt for the Kenko Pro 1.4x. As far as reviews go I haven't seen a whole lot of bad ones compared to the good.

Well could add a teleconverter. Nikon's of course are not backward compatible.
But had a tamron 1.4x which gave me 280mm f4 for those little birdies and things.

I'll have to check out the Tamrons!

One thing to consider: while slower, af is considerably more reliable/durable and will likely last 2-3 times as long as an afs lens. Afs motors wear out 2-3 times as fast as anything else on the lens.

I recently picked up a two ring 80-200mm on eBay for $375 to replace my broken af-s version.

The trick to getting good eBay prices is to find the lens bundled with other items that u can resell.

Last edited:
Built like a Tank super rugged and sharp.

Most reactions

Back