really awesome website - help a photographer in a developing country!

pitdesi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I found this website called kiva.org that I think is really powerful and everyone should know about.

For me, it provided the opportunity to be a lazy do-gooder, which is pretty cool. Kiva offers a very easy way to give no interest microloans ($25) to folks in developing countries. It’s a beautiful concept and offers little excuse for the typical cop-out. The loan repayment happens within a year, and though there’s no interest returned, you do get a ton of good karma points. I liked it so much that I'm volunteering for Kiva.

So where does the photo forum fit in?

Using Kiva, I just made a $25 loan (I'm broke) to Manuel de Jesus Araica Tercios in Danli, Honduras. He runs a family photo business and needs just enough money to get him over the hump, which he will repay in the next year.
He still needs another $475... Let us fortunate photographers help him get there!
Go to the site and make a loan!
http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses&action=about&id=483

I think this is really powerful and that we can make a difference. If you don't think his cause is worthy, check out the rest of the site, there are some really cool businesses in Africa that need very little money but have so much potential.

I just realized that I only have 2 posts, and the first is a welcome message, so you have no reason to believe me.

Please do the research yourself on this one - I've been lurking here for a while but kiva is what got me to register and post.

On the front page, kiva.org, you can see that Kiva has been covered in CNN, the Wall Street Journal, BBC, etc... it is totally a legit operation.

I heard about this a while ago and made a 'loan', I considered it more a donation and don't expect to see the money again but I thought it was a great idea so just gave what I wouldn't miss too much. Kiva is all above board as far as I know, either that or I've been suckered!

I made a loan and have received money back, so I can certainly vouch that it works.

I don't think people should consider it a donation, it is actually just an interest-free loan.

ok... and who's going to give me a loan for dslr? I live in a developing country as well... :p:p:p:p what's more I'm a student and I need cash.... :p and I even don't have enough to donate TPF... :(:(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back