Really Confused By Raw

Just because you are using CS3 doesn't mean it's up to date. You may need to get the latest patches and the adobe raw update. It changes quite a bit.

Regardless, I don't think this is a photoshop issue.

I don't have a Canon myself, so I cannot say, but did your camera come with any CD with drivers on it that you should be installing? That being said, usually this isn't necessary either...

Also, though... if you're new to this, I don't recommend shooting raw. RAW is a LOT to deal with very early on (as you can see :lol:). There is a heck of a lot more you need to learn about your camera before you wind up frustrating the heck out of yourself with importing and adjusting RAW files.

Stick it on JPEG/fine until you find the day when JPEG screws you up and you realize if you were shooting RAW it would have been better. THEN start shooting RAW.

thanks both ill read the manual now

and ive been shooting and post processing with my fuji for months and raw seems like a good way to go atm manaheim :)

Ken Rockwell's website said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Communication[/SIZE] sets the USB output. I leave it at its default of Normal. Unfortunately, no setting will make the 20D appear as an external hard drive, which most other brands like Casio and Nikon do. Because of this, you have to load software to get your images out of the camera, making it a pain if you travel and want to borrow a computer. Nikon and Casio cameras pop right up as external USB drives, making it trivial to transfer files to and from these cameras. [/FONT]

Buy a card reader! (I think you may need a camera firmware update)

yeah was just about to post

i cant see the option anwyhere

right, but is this really going to solve my problem
i still cant see the files in windows explorer anyway?

You'd think with all the Canon weenies on this board, someone besides a couple of Nikon guys could lend a hand...

Okay, I'm not sure what is or is not going to solve your problem, however: From a quick surf of the 'net what all of the Canon people say is, "Get a card reader" there are hundreds of reports of this exact prloblem all over.

I don't know that there's much more assistance I can offer, I'm sorry.

dont be sorry
you've helped loads

ill be off to stockport tomorrow to buy one :)

thanks alot

and ill jsut sit tight and hopefully someone with canon knwloedge will appear!

You'd think with all the Canon weenies on this board, someone besides a couple of Nikon guys could lend a hand...

Okay, I'm not sure what is or is not going to solve your problem, however: From a quick surf of the 'net what all of the Canon people say is, "Get a card reader" there are hundreds of reports of this exact prloblem all over.

I don't know that there's much more assistance I can offer, I'm sorry.

pfft... Canons. :blackeye:

thanks both ill read the manual now

and ive been shooting and post processing with my fuji for months and raw seems like a good way to go atm manaheim :)

heh, well that's why I said "If you're new to this..." :)

Rogan, if you have PS CS3 then open Adobe Bridge and use the file downloader from the file drop down menu. You will be able to see and open the files in Bridge.

In your folder options be sure to set it to read details and show file extensions. There may be other folder options that need to be set correctly to see the files from Windows Explorer.

Did your new camera come with software and if so, did you load it and try loading your pictures through the software?

Did your new camera come with software and if so, did you load it and try loading your pictures through the software?

i bought the camera on ebay and the seller didnt inlucde the CD (he left it at home when packing it up) and is posting it me now, but i downloaded the codecs and the raw file converter off the canon website

still no luck

Rogan, if you have PS CS3 then open Adobe Bridge and use the file downloader from the file drop down menu. You will be able to see and open the files in Bridge.

In your folder options be sure to set it to read details and show file extensions. There may be other folder options that need to be set correctly to see the files from Windows Explorer.

tried adobe bridge

didnt pick up the files either

Hello Rogan
I use a free programme caled SilkyPix. works good. Maybe have a look on google for it if your still stuck. The free on lets you make JPEGS from the RAW. I make 100% JPEGS that look very nice with it. Then i work on these in my Gimp programme.

Best,
Matt

Most reactions

Back