Really do prefer taking portraits in landscape mode - anyone else prefer it?

classixuk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After my last post here about 4 weeks ago I have taken a considerable number of 'people photos' and this morning asked a friend to come around and model for me. I wanted 2 different looks from the same shoot, so chose outdoor 'beauty' and indoor 'grit' - grit was very easy when I realised I had forgotten my reflectors and had to make do with an A4 piece of white card. :( Stupid mistake!!!

Anyway, yet again I found myself discarding all of the portrait shots and naturally preferring the landscape shots. I'm just wondering if this is common amongst newbies? Will I ever learn to love portrait - they just seem so 'formal' when I compare them to landscape?

Here's the shots from earlier today for C&C

Many Thanks for your advice.

:)

Attachments

• $61103_10151083921412322_2140432639_n.jpg
    $61103_10151083921412322_2140432639_n.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 170
  • $403589_10151099816967654_1725632371_n.jpg
    $403589_10151099816967654_1725632371_n.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 157
To me, these compositions look a bit hap-hazard. The ratios are not true 2:3 landscape orientations. They're getting to "square" or 1:1 crops.

The question you must ask yourself, is the extra space improving or taking away from the shot? In my estimation both shots are suffering from your orientation choices.

In #1, the line on the wall is an indicator that the portrait is not level. Vertical lines run perpendicular to the horizontal axis, thus implying this shot is off-center.

In #2, there's no reason to include the leaves coming from the tree. They just pull the eye away from the subject. They are a distraction.

It's not so much about which side is longer...it's about understanding what the image is supposed to be saying to the viewer and how to best convey that with a photo.

As for shooting horizontally or vertically...I shoot vertically more often when I have a grip on the camera (2nd set of controls for holding the camera comfortably when vertical). But I'm not afraid to crop a horizontal into a vertical when processing.

Even portrait format can be "informal". I think some people are fixated on one certain "look" and cannot see beyond.

It is highly unlikely that I would be critical of horizontal format if and when there is a perfectly good reason to compose in landscape.

The two shots that you have posted here do not, IMO, have any particular reason to be in horizontal, (and nearly square) so I will be critical of your choice for these.

Speaking of criticism, the backgrounds in each are far more troubling than the format. And the harsh lighting in #1. And the uneven facial lighting in #2.

For environmental portraits, landscape is quite common. For more formal portrait-portraits, you'll find portrait orientation more common. The stuff attached here is neither, but they both have to property that the girl is one piece of a large composition. Not *much* larger, but larger. I'm not sure they're really successful, but they're certainly not bad.

She has a very unusual, amazing "look". You need to work with her more!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back