REALLY? Is it really SPAM?

gribur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new here, I am hoping to meet many new people with great ideas and great views on the subject of photography. I am in the process of buying my first DSLR, yes you have one, not very exciting, but i need more info. I am just a little perplexed that in a website such as this where different views are encouraged that when I went looking for different views it was considered spamming. There are a couple of accepted definitions of spam the first being

1) Forum spam is the creating of messages that are advertisements on Internet forums

And the second

2)(Verb) The act if obnoxiously doing something repeatedly for attention or in order to disturb others.

I was told to view the FAQ where it states "Spamming is not tolerated. Do not cross-post messages in multiple forums in an effort to gain attention."

If we apply the above two definitions to my post it is clearly not spam. As for cross posting to gain attention? I did post the same question 3x. In The beginners thread, the canon thread and the Nikon thread to ellicit 3 seperate responses from three seperate groups of individuals.

The FAQ also states "No digital vs. traditional arguments or debates are allowed. We have separate forums where the virtues of both mediums are discussed" which one would assume would apply to each forum on the website, be it canon vs nikon or photography for beginners vs beyond the basics, All forums are based on different topics to draw different responses from individuals whom are experienced in different areas of photography. I therefore did not post in the separate forums to "SPAM" and I am disappointed that the chance to get different opinions from different members who frequent different forums has been denied. I will try to " Avoid any further TPF Staff sanctions"

Welcome to the site.

This would be better sent as a private message to the moderator who dealt with the situation specifically.

As for now moving it down to support/questions section.

As for the views on cross posting the populations here on the site are very much cross section; in fact many of our regular members often surf the site in "new posts" as opposed to section by section. The sections are there to help keep order, but the population as a whole freely moves around between them. As such we don't allow cross posting the same message in multiple subsections of the forum itself.

I've always heard of spam referred to as Stupid Pointless Annoying Messages.

But yeah, one thread is sufficient. No harm, no foul. Welcome to the site.

Most reactions

Back