Really looking for input - first post here

You all on here are so great - I think you are mind readers! I did struggle with the cropping on that because it was originally a little longer, but it didn't look balanced with the shapes in the barn wood or something. I think full body would change the doorway effect too. Where would be a good place to cut across her? I don't have any training like I said so I know there are rules like not cutting directly at a joint, but I didn't know what to do in this case... Also, I totally had already B&W-ed it!
This is my 12-yr-old daughter - she's the only one that will hold still for 1/20th of a sec!

Attachments

• $AthenaBarn3BW46sm.jpg
    $AthenaBarn3BW46sm.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 99
  • $AthenaBarn2BWsm.jpg
    $AthenaBarn2BWsm.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 102
I like the one of your daughter in the barn opening. Try if you can, go back and take more shots, have her move to the left of the opening, lean against the side, maybe put a hand on a hip....maybe not center her in the photo..have her standing in the left 1/3 of the photo.....full body shot. Just some ideas. I am a fan of old barns.

I like the centered shot. I don't normally go for bullseye, but with this framing, I think it works. A rule of thirds shot, as suggested by the jersey lilly, would be great also.

As for where to cross cut her, I think you did okay, but I would love to see this as a vertical with her whole body in the shot from toes to hair.

As an aside; 12? Really? Wow, Mom. You're in trouble. She is going to be a little heartbreaker.

Yeah those both are pretty centered aren't they? I wouldn't say I usually do that, but like I said when I started looking at that with the barn around her it didn't look right any other way to me. As for the other one, I have a few others at the outside of the barn like that but I was trying to to get the whoe "KEEP OUT" in the image so she ended up a little too middle there too. Thank you for all of your comments and compliments.

About the heartbreaker - you know that rhymes with "trouble-maker"! We are half way there already. I don't remember knowing so much more than everyone else at 12 - I think I didn't quite hit that stage til 16! ;) My biggest problem with her lately though, is wanting to use MY camera all the time. I don't even have that thing paid for. See, she is smart because she knows her 4 megapixels aren't cutting it! I am at least glad to have one person in my house with an interest in photos though. And, of course, I am blessed to have her!! Thanks again - Erin

I'v already answered your other posting but ditch that one, go for the first farmer in the corn, the silhouette lanscape with black cropped and the shower boys, they all have a story imo.

Well, I may be a little too late with this but just figured I'd offer my personal thoughts. I really like the very first one with the silhoute but think it would look awesome as a sepia toned image.
The girl in the barn is a nice shot too but I would've either cropped her over to one side. With her in the center maybe making a funny face or something might have looked interesting. I also think moving her over to the side of the opening, having her kind of walking into the barn looking over her shoulder at the camera might have made a neat image. But all good work!
And as far as your lack of schooling, I don't think that's necessary to be a great photographer. You can go to school for years but if you don't look at something and see the image in your mind... you just won't produce amazing photos. If you have the passion, practice is all it takes. Keep being passionate about it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back