Really need some advice on buying a camera.

pjaye

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Someone on one of my facebook groups has a Nikon D300 for sale for $550. It includes a grip, two batteries and a charger. 36,000 clicks. Unfortunately, he has posted stock pictures and not pictures of the actual camera. Although I would ask for those. He is a photographer, I checked. States he bought his wife a new camera.

Is this a good deal? I'm searching prices and they are all over the place. I currently own a D7000, and D7100 if that matters.

Thanks!

I am confused, you have 2 cameras which are by far superior to the D300 so why do you want to go backward ?

Anyways back to the question assuming the camera is in good condition and indeed with the amount of clicks you say then yes this is a reasonable deal, lots of people still love the D300 and D300s so its going for higher prices comparing other cameras in its era.
The grip too is worth something as a bonus if you like to use it.

Too much dinero for an old body with a sensor that is easily bettered by multiple newer, smaller, lighter Nikons. You want a camera of that era? $550 will get you a used Nikon D2x which is better in almost every single respect. In "my town", newer consumer cameras like D90 are at under $240. I don't really see the D300 (it's not even the D300s model) as being worth anywhere close to $550 today.

Until you include the vertical grip & extra battery, particularly if both are Nikon made.

I would expect 1 battery and the charger to be included.
However, I would also expect the User's Manual, the DK-4 cover for the viewfinder, and the BS-1 cover for the flash hot shoe.

Here locally....D300 with box, $275, no sales tax to any buyers--in this state nor anywhere else in the USA. Used Inventory | Pro Photo Supply

Is the battery grip being priced at the SAME price as the camera, battery and battery charger?

D600 with box, $795

Thanks so much Derrel. I'll look into the one you mentioned.I posted a response earlier but it disappeared for some reason. I passed.on this camera.

Someone on one of my facebook groups has a Nikon D300 for sale for $550. It includes a grip, two batteries and a charger. 36,000 clicks. Unfortunately, he has posted stock pictures and not pictures of the actual camera. Although I would ask for those. He is a photographer, I checked. States he bought his wife a new camera.

Is this a good deal? I'm searching prices and they are all over the place. I currently own a D7000, and D7100 if that matters.

Thanks!
another option
Sell your d7000 and d7100, plus your extra cash and buy a d500

might as well get the latest and greatest, instead of an old camera. If you are after the pro controls, then the d500 has it too.

If you want a grip, you can get them for both your d7000 and d7100 (and d500).

Last edited:
Sell your d7000 and d7100, plus your extra cash and buy a d500

might as well get the latest and greatest, instead of an old camera. If you are after the pro controls, then the d500 has it too.

If you want a grip, you can get them for both your d7000 and d7100 (and d500).

Ok, well now that's an option too. Dammit, I hate decisions. Thanks for your post, off to do some research.

Is there a reason you need 3 cameras that have the same format?

If I had 2 cameras
and some cash for a 3rd
I'd sell the 2 and get the d500

The specs on the d500 (and the D5) is amazing.

I was thinking the same, why are you considering another camera which has no real advantage? Cost isn't really a consideration here!

I'd second astroNikon, get the D500 if you are getting GAS syndrome.. we'd also get to see some nice images :)

I was thinking the same, why are you considering another camera which has no real advantage? Cost isn't really a consideration here!

I'd second astroNikon, get the D500 if you are getting GAS syndrome.. we'd also get to see some nice images :)
and at 3,000 fps or so, a lot of nice images :)

I'd only take the D300 if somebody would pay me 500$ for the pain of using one. For starters, even my D5100 had a far superior sensor.

As does the D7000, by the way (its the same sensor, the D7000 has better post processing though).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back