REALLY OFF TOPIC...Question about Cars???

oldnavy170

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I have been looking for a new car. I fell in love with the new Jeep Compass that just came out last month. I felt the price was excellent and worth the vehicle. Plus I own a Jeep Cherokee right now and I love it but was looking for something better on gas.

Anyways, due to "not so perfect credit" they told me that I needed to find a car that had rebates. So they approved me for a PT Cruiser. Its a nice car but I don't LOVE IT!!! :( I am looking to lease and not buy to save on money and the price they came up with for the PT Cruiser is not really what I was looking to spend....and its not what I wanted. I am so limited to what I can get due to my credit and only using my car as a down payment.

I thought I would post this to see if anyone had any suggestions for me.

Like I said, this post is wayyyyyy off topic. ;)

oldnavy170 said:
Like I said, this post is wayyyyyy off topic. ;)

Well, this IS the Off Topic Chat after all ;)
Sorry that I cannot help though, I'm more into totally different cars ...

Would reccommend a Landrover Defender ;) .. too expensive though ...

I won't be much help either, since I don't actually like cars. But trading something you own for something you won't own seems like a bad idea for me. While we're off topic, can anyone explain for me what benefit leasing a car has?

My wife just got an '06 VW Jetta GLI out the door for 22K. Not a bad little car. Has some oomph to it, and it's somewhat spacious, not like a Jeep would be.

Leasing is renting in car terminology. You don't pay as much per month as if you had bought the car, but at the end of your lease, you don't get anything, but a deal on the car, if you choose to buy it. Holy run-on sentence.

Yeah, I would like to keep my Jeep that I own and don't have a payment on but it has very High Miles and needs some work. I am looking to get something for my Jeep while it still has some value to it. Plus, it will be nice to have a car without worrying about repairs.

Yeah, I only want to lease to save on my monthly payment.

Have you thought of Nissan Xterra? I also had a Jeep Cherokee Sport and traded it in when I bought the Xterra. I have to say that I miss certain things about the Jeep (like the turning radius) but others (like repair bills) I do not. The Xterra I bought about three years ago and I haven't spent one red cent outside of maintenance and gas. They are solidly built!

Mitica100 said:
Have you thought of Nissan Xterra? I also had a Jeep Cherokee Sport and traded it in when I bought the Xterra. I have to say that I miss certain things about the Jeep (like the turning radius) but others (like repair bills) I do not. The Xterra I bought about three years ago and I haven't spent one red cent outside of maintenance and gas. They are solidly built!

This is the best idea yet.

GO TO A DIFFERENT DEALER!!!

Any dealer that wont even try to get you into the car you want is only trying to help their bottom line no matter what. If the salesperson / finance guy is not bending over backwards to try to get you into the car you want. They are just trying to make a quick buck for themselves. One thing to think of is they are just comming out so they will not be dealing on them price wise. They will be sold for close to sticker. They don't want to waste time with someone that wants a deal. As they know someone will come in the door that wants one and not interested in dickering for price!

My advice to you is wait till spring unless it it absolutely necessary to get a new one. Also remember all new cars have problems or two. Need to give them a little time to tweak the line a little bit.

DON'T let them push you into a car you dont want. Dont buy one for the sake of a new car. Wait just a little and get what you want.

I got a call from them today because I told them that I didn't want the PT Cruiser and that I really wanted the Compass. Well, they came back with an offer for the Compass but with another $100 more for a payment. Well, I told them that is out of the question!

So, I have another appointment with them Thursday to look at a Dodge Caliber. I checked it out online and it looks good. I also like that it gets 33 miles to a gallon (highway). They said that they would work out a price thats in my range if I am interested in this one. So, its still a waiting game.

Here is the Dodge Caliber: http://www.dodge.com/en/caliber/gallery.html

My next bit of very important advice is to never never buy a car specifically based on payment amount!!! The thing with going by payment is they will adjust the term of the loan / lease to get the money they want!

Always always work on price first! Then once you have the price settled. Then work on the payment terms! Leases are specially worse as they dont have standard terms like normal loans. And if they tell you they are selling it at invoice or loosing money by selling below invoice. They are just giving a line of BS!. Dealers get a discount off of invoice the more cars they sell (the more the bigger the discount). Dealer invoice is the manufacturers list price to the dealers. But just like anything else. That is not what they pay. They get big discounts off of it.

My uncle used to sell cars for a long time. I took him when I bought my first car from a dealer. The salesman knew right away my Uncle sold cars!

ya i would go to a different dealer and try them too. mabye take a look at a honda cr-v those get like 23-26ish mpg

I just did some quick checking. I am not sure what accessories you are looking at. But the lowest priced Caliber is listed at $14,5?? and the Compas at $15,9??. If they want another $100 a month and you are leasing anything more that 12 months. They are trying to get every penny they can out of you. GO TO A DIFFERENT dealer. If it was me I would not trust them any more!! Again the Caliber will sell more just because its the newest hottest. So they will be less willing to deal on it right now. If you wait just a little bit. Till when they are not selling off the lot as quick. You will save yourself quite a bit.

Most reactions

Back