really old press camera

zio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so i'm using an old press camera and i cant figure something out.
its an old speed graphic press camera and there is something to turn right behind the viewfinder. below the thing that turns there is like a switch that can move up and down from TRIP, BACK & FRONT. the switch is permanently on FRONT. unfortunately when i turn the dial there is this thing that comes down where the film would go, thereby not allowing the picture to be taken. i cant even open the back to focus b/c all i see is black.

sorry for not being anymore help on this, but its really hard to explain.

zio said:
thanks...i figured it out!

Good deal! Graphic cameras have a focal plane shutter. Their usage however revolves more around lenses with shutters, as they have almost no vibration factor.

Yeah, its weird they have to two shutter options on those Speed Graphics. So how do you like you Speed Garphics so far? I got one, then proptly sold it for a Burk and James model becasue it had more movements. Though i love the Burk and James, i am sure i would have likes the speed as well.

The older Speed Graphics have focal plane shutters in the body which allow the use of barrel lenses, which usually go pretty cheap. My Anniversary Graphic has the FP shutter, and I fired it a few times, although I've never used it to take a pic. A lot of camera shake there I'd imagine. The later Speed Graphics got rid of the FP shutter since everyone had switched to leaf shutters in the lens.

i like it, i'm still trying to figure out the right exposure for the picture since i'm still learning about photography and what not. its a bit clumsy and weird to look through the ground glass seeing the image upside down.

Yeah it is strange to see the upside down image. I took my first pics with my Burk and James yesterday on poloroid. I loved the first picture, but the second ones showed a light leak. Checked the bellows for holes with a flashlight, (didn't have a little light bulb i could put in there) But i think the leak may have been from the lower left side of the poloroid adapter. I don't believe it was seated snug enough.
Does anyone have any suggested fixes for this? i tightened the screws that hold the ground glass and the film holder. I hope that does it.

Havoc said:
But i think the leak may have been from the lower left side of the poloroid adapter. I don't believe it was seated snug enough.

This happened to me. I thought I had a bad film holder, and did a lot of testing to try and track it down, but never could. Then I decided that maybe I wasn't being careful enough when I seated the film holder. Now I carefully make sure everything is in place, and I've never had the light leak again.

good tip, i might wrap my coat around it as i pull out the dark slide too. I am nervous about them since i get so few shots with LF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back