really raw

Well welcome aboard... I don't have photoshow either. I have a ton of freeware programs that do a little of this and a little of that. I'll be glad to pass on the name to download if you would like.
At the moment I don't even have my laptop hooked up at home (long story)
/me may or may not be at work right now.

And thanks for the welcome :)

Very nice photogirl.. In the old school meatball style let me tell you the very best thing about that shot. You find the right crop in the camera. First of all yes it's a horizontal image thats good first step. But you also have that disagonal tree branch on the right which is an important enough element to warrent extending the frame over to it. Now if you knew that when you shot it you are a genius. If you didn't it is one of those "better to be lucky than good shots." If you were to crop it you would lose about 30percent of your interest. Nice job.

And it goes without saying that the flower needed the anchor at the bottom and you have it. Just a damn fine composition right in the camera. And again how much do the hot spots really bother anyone here.

I agree extending the shot to the right to include the branch is brilliant.

In my way of thinking extending a frame it just fine as long as there is a reason. Just to do it to make the image fit some imaginary rule of composition is stupid.

Now if you look at your bird shot you will see the logic of it again. If you didn't extend it your man would have been cut in half a rather troubles thing for the image, as well as the man... You did exactly the right thing. Where would the real improvement be in editing that shot.

I should mention again... You guys are so good I'm getting nervous about my one shot of the day.

Then I should mention ---> I'm dying to see it!! Out with it already. Kidding take your time :D

Very nice photogirl.. In the old school meatball style let me tell you the very best thing about that shot. You find the right crop in the camera. First of all yes it's a horizontal image thats good first step. But you also have that disagonal tree branch on the right which is an important enough element to warrent extending the frame over to it. Now if you knew that when you shot it you are a genius. If you didn't it is one of those "better to be lucky than good shots." If you were to crop it you would lose about 30percent of your interest. Nice job.

And it goes without saying that the flower needed the anchor at the bottom and you have it. Just a damn fine composition right in the camera. And again how much do the hot spots really bother anyone here.

I agree extending the shot to the right to include the branch is brilliant.
Thanks both of you, but unfortunately I'm no genius :( I did purposely include the branch that the flower is growing out of though. And I was trying hard to include the blue sky behind the pink flower. The diagonal branch at the left works well too, eh?

This picture was also taken in auto mode.

Thanks again :)

Nothing wrong with auto stuff. I just bought two auto focus film cameras because my eyes wont work well in low light. I don't think that makes me less of a photographer. If helps to know what your camera did and why so if you need to you can do it yourself. But auto everything is less important being able to see what is important. You can do more things if you can work with manual settings but it isn't necessary to shoot a good picture.

If you understand what why your camera did what it did, so that if you want to create the same look later when the light isnt the same, then you are in good shape. As long as I don't have a funky lighting situation I shoot aperture priority which is simply auto exposure with a little control over which setting is constant. You can vary the aperture but the camera choses the best shutter speed. Works good unless you have a backlight, then it sets the shutter for the stronger light and you wind up with a dark person. Also have to be careful that it doesn't set a shutter speed so low you get camera shake, but all that is easy to get used to.

Shooting good images all begins with how you see things, then moves on to equipment and seeing better. Nice work on the flower no matter how it happened.

This is totally easy for me, since I almost never post-process, I don't enjoy fussing with photoshop or other processing programs, I enjoy taking pictures.

Here are a few:

DSC_0785.jpg

DSC_0506_2.jpg

DSC_0959.jpg

fixeddikdik.jpg

I think I have created a monster that is going to eat me alive. You guys have some great out of camera shots. The repeat of the flamingo in the water is classic.

Whatever that bird with the growth on it's beak is speaks volumes to what I keep saying. You expose for the subject and let the devil take the rest. I love them all. Great shots.

Welcome to the thread it aint much but we call it home...

My thinking is to do just the amount of work that would be done by a one hour lab.
start digital or film but do no more than they would do at a lab.... thats how we did freelance mostly in the old days. You can white blance yes of course. What you cant do is custom work.

My experience with one hour labs is that they can really screw up your work. Many of them have this brilliant technology that "automatically enhances" your pics and really messes up what you did. My local cvs is the worst.

Since I don't have photoshop (well I actually now have a 30 day trial of it but won't be buying it unless dh wins the lottery which is impossible because he doesn't play), I have almost always done minimal editing to my pictures. Some I love, many I hate. My kodak was actually pretty good with color. I have to adjust the nikon often.

Sabbath is that dear looking animal deformed or are my eyes not seeing correctly?

Most reactions

Back