really raw

Sabat999 the last one is just adorable. What is it? The nose looks a bit wierd so I figured it probably wasn't a dear, head shape is right either, beautiful big eyes. Lovely shot. The last two have some sadness in their eyes, moreso in the one before last.

I shoot film so I cant relate. My one hour lab did my professional proofs and even some of my prints for albums. However they were willing to listen to me and redo what they had done wrong. I kinda understand color and stuff so it wasn't that hard to get it right.

That said, they had film profiles that could not be changed. Fuji was always red if you didnt force them to correct for it. kodak looked like yellow jaundice. I had the correction formula written on a piece of paper in my wallet. If they started there any variations were caused by lighting and I just lived with it.

Now my son in law sets custom color on every shot. Im too lazy for that. I have a cheapo program that post processes color balance but I wont be using it on this thread. I also intend to do a lot of black and white here lol.

One from the weekend, converted from raw, resized, uploaded.

20070629164706_bled_church.jpg

On the building I like it but if I had the time and was thinking which I'm usually not. I think i would have not included anything on the right of the building. I can't see that it adds anything but it is still a very beautiful shot.

I have the worst time with extra stuff showing up in my negatives. I have no idea where they come from. I mean it's an slr for gods sake where do those stop signs and such come from. I know I've gotten even more lazy. lets see what some other people think about that...

Just a non professional critique opinion.

Okay, I promised i wouldn't do anything they wouldn't do at a one hour photo so here it is. it was shot on film at f4.5 at 1/25 of a second on 2x3 cut film. The only crop was to a full frame 8x10 image which is old school. It isn't as good as I hoped but it's okay i guess. I think there might have a been too slight a breeze to give me good movement but enough to soften it up. Oh Well always next time. Even in my eyes I lose this round.

Looks like i might also have a smudge on the lens.

688gepx.jpg

I'll see what I can muster up today, I'll shoot Jpeg, so that way, all the processing would be done in camera as far as saturation, contrast, etc..

Can I just check one point. Is it OK to convert from colour to B+W, so long as that's it, or must I use the B+W setting the camera (350D) provides?

Heres a couple I grabbed last night on a country drive , liked the cloud formation usually my contrast is better but i used a kit lens.
all raw just jpeg conversion.

rawonly2.jpg

rawonly.jpg

Mkay, shot in Jpeg, and I just set my speedlight off ot the side and used it as the key light while the daylight was the fill. Underexposed the background about a 3/4 of a stop for seperation. Not much contrast, but hey, Could only resize it so..

DSC_00172.jpg

correct me if i'm wrong but shooting in jpeg has in camera processing settings by default or can they be turned off and work like a raw image?

i don't do post processing, except for infrared which i change to black and white, but only with one click of the mouse in nikon editor.

i don't know how to post photos here, but if intereted you can check here for some digital photos.

under disclosure, the bench has been cropped a bit at the top.

http://aclancyphotography.com/portfolios/digital/page01.html

Most reactions

Back