Really underexposed image

bogleric

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My wife is putting together a scrap book for some friends that got married yesterday. I have one picture that she wants that came out way underexposed. Not really sure, the ones before and after in the same location look great. If anyone has some tips on how to post process this to restore the image as much as possible I would really appreciate the help. PP is still a weak spot for me.

IMG_4133.jpg

Link to Original RAW File

Above is a link to the original RAW CR2 file.

Thanks for your help.

I'm afraid that the image is too underexposed to get anything useful for printing. There is just too much noise in the shadows when you lighten it up. I opened the RAW using a +4 exposure (all the way to the right) and got this:

IMG_4133-mod1.jpg

Here's a full-sized crop:

IMG_4133-mod2.jpg

You could probably edit it to make a web-worthy image, but that's it. The light behind them fooled the meter, so it exposed for the window, not the couple. This is a case where using the camera in manual would give you more control and prevent that.

yes marks right...... i had a look in ps but didnt think i'd be able to rescue it anyway..... its just underexposed way too far..... a web version is possible using the RAW exposure compensation...... the shadow/highlights filter and alot of noise removal..... but nothing worth printing im affraid.

Thanks for taking a look, I didn't know of any way to fix it either. I double checked the image info and the camera was set to Manual mode and according to the EXIF data it even fired. Strange because the info is identical to the other orientation and pictures taken in the same location.

Thanks again

I didn't think to look at the EXIF. I just did and noticed you used flash. That changes everything. Light drops at 1/4 the light when you double the distance. Were you closer to the subjects in the other images? Maybe the flash wasn't strong enough to reach them in this shot. I would have guessed you would have gotten more than you did, though. Maybe the flash hadn't recharged yet, so you didn't get a full-powered pop?

I was standing in exactly the same spot, It would be my best guess that the flash had not recharged yet. However this is some strange results for a 580EX.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back