Really up close photos

Dionysus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm guessing you need a special lens or something, but how does one take those really up close shots? I attempted it today with my kit lens that came w/ my xsi, and got good results, but couldnt get as up close as some pics i've seen. Do I also need a more open lens as well?

I tried to take up close photos of rain drops on the window, but it refused to focus in, and and i couldnt get all the way up close.

That's because your minimum focusing distance (how close you can get to the "subject" before you can no longer focus) isn't as close as you want it to be. In this situation, what you are looking for is a "macro" lens, a lens that can put you about a foot or less away from the subject - for example a Sigma 105MM f/2.8 lens with (if I remember) a one foot focusing distance. This allows you to get right up in there with the lens, as well as being able to have a 1:1 relationship between what you are photographing and what comes out in your pictures.

Of course, these lenses are NOT cheap, but they wont break the bank either. I just got mine for 250. It is the AF version, however with true macro, auto-focus is damn near useless. If you want to use the lens as portrait lens, its aces, but if you're doing the raindrops, you're going to need to go manual all the way.

Lenses to look at:

Tamron 90MM F/2.8
Sigma 105MM F/2.8
Nikkor 105MM F/2.8
Nikkor 60MM F/2.8 -
Tokina 100MM F/2.8

Yes. There is a trend here.

Yeah, a macro lens is what you'll want.

You could try a macro coupler too, they only cost about $10 (you could even just use tape if you're really cheap). You will be able to get REALLY close (closer than most macro lenses will get you). You will need a tripod (or a ton of light). You will need another lens too (not sure if the kit lens is the only one you have right now).

If that sounds interesting just google "macro coupler" or "how to use macro couple", something like that - you'll get a ton of results.

I would recommend Canon lenses since you are using a Canon camera. Look into the 100mm Macro f/2.8. Best macro bang for the buck in my opinion. I like the 100mm focal length on a crop sensor camera myself. Gives plenty of shooting distance for bug chasing.

There are some great third party lenses as well. If you go 3rd party, look at Sigma.

Derrick

Here is a shot I took with a 50mm lens, reverse mounted onto a 35-105mm lens with a macro reverse coupler.
Macro-01.jpg

Nasty?...it was delicious.

That's a slice of bread. :)

I thought it was cornflakes. I "guess" it could have been something else, but I wouldn't expect that to be skin or anything. The reverse coupling idea sounds interesting, because it opens up macro use without the "ease" of a dedicated macro lens - and significantly cheaper.

The only problem (with this particular setup) was that it was an extreme magnification without much adjustment. I had to be about an inch away from the subject, which made lighting a little tricky.

There were a whole bunch of thread and discussions about this, several years ago. A few members where used using tape to mount on lens onto another.

Yeah, macro couplers are pretty cool.

Here's one of a Gillette Fusion razor. 50mm 1.4 reversed onto 70-200mm f/4L (@ 200mm)
IMG_4504-resized.jpg

DOF is VERY limited with the macro couplers, the only reason so much of this is in focus is because I took care to position it parallel to the film plane.

I have a few extension tubes for getting close. They work quite well but I'm interested in this reverse coupling idea.
What's involved and what equipment do you use?

THIS is a macro reversing coupler. It has threads that attach to the filter threads on two lenses, allowing you to mount them face-to-face. You would obviously need the correct size for the lenses you plan to use.

HERE is one that attaches to the camera and lets you reverse mount a lens. This one is a Pentax K mount.

What's involved and what equipment do you use?
You'll need a macro coupler (see my post a few above this for a link), or a roll of tape.

You need 2 lenses (a long one and a short one is good). Basically you just connect the two lenses, face to face. Put the lens that has the larger max aperture on the end (you will only be able to control the aperture on the lens connected to the camera, so put the one with a smaller aperture there).

Set up your tripod (you'll probably need some kind of light too). It's easier to move the subject around to get the right focus - the DOF and the focus range are both very small shooting like this. Your subject will typically only be an inch or two away from the end of your lens.

The typical macro lens gives you 1:1 magnification, you can do a few times better than that with the macro coupler. A 50 & 200mm gives you 4:1 (200/50=4; my understanding is that this is how you figure out the magnification factor for this). That's 4 times closer than most macro lenses will get you, that's pretty damn close.

Most reactions

Back