Rebal XTi & Flash(s)

BYoung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off I've had my XTi for a little while now and I'm at a point where I'm happy with most of my photo's. So I was thinking of getting a real flash and since I only like buying stuff once I was looking at the Canon 580EX II.

But this is just where I started to get confused. I was reading the Strobist blog everyone recommends and its great. But I noticed he always talks about PC Terminal connection. The XTi does not have this, so if I was to get a second flash or some bigger strobes for portraits, how would the XTi control these without the PC Terminal? Would the 580EX be able to control another 580EX or some bigger strobes? I know there is wireless options but they are pricey and seem to be just as confusing.

As you may notice I am confused about all this. If I was to buy a flash it would be the 580EX II since everyone recommends it. But I would like to know how more flash's could be used later in a 2+ flash setup. If any of you that know about this stuff could help straighten out my jumbled mess of knowledge I would be great full. I hope some of this makes sense :lol:

Hello, well if you want to use another flashes you can buy a hot shoe to pc adapter , the 580 does have a pc adapter all tough i don't know if that can be used to trigger another flash. if you have another canon flash you can use the 580 as master and the other one as slave (if the one you have has that feature) anyways there are another methods to trigger the flashes wirelessly like the cactus...

They are remote triggers from hong kong sold on ebay, i have them for a couple of weeks and they work preety good, i have not used a pocket wizard system wich everyone tells they are the best...

also read this

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108420

the 580 is what I recommend as well. To get it off camera use the Off Camera Shoe Cord 2/3. If you want to use a PC cord with the XTi, you'll need this. However, keep in mind, The PC cord does NOT support ETTL for full auto flash, it only fires the flash. You'll have to learn how to use flash in Manual mode if a PC cord is used.

The 580 can control all your other slave flash in a wireless setup. It also has a PC out on it.

Thanks for the reply's. This straightens this out a lot for me. I'm thinking I should just get the 580EX II because it seems like a really good place to start and has the capability to grow with me.

Question about the PC Out on the 580EX. Will it meter the other flash(s) for the ETTL while connected this way?

no. It's to fire the flash only. The only way to retain ETTL (to my knowledge) is with the use of Canons Wireless feature and the Offshoe Cord.

Alright I figured it would be like that, thanks for the quick reply's TC.

I was looking at the setup B&H & Adorama have. It has 2 580EX II & a
ST-E2 Transmitter [LINK]

$999.99 is a lot to drop on something for me right now. So I think I'm just going to get a 580ex as a start and build from there.

What a silly combo BH is offering. Not just for it's limited use, but the 580 is only 409 on their site and the ST-E2 can be had for around 200 bucks (@Adorama)!!! Buy the 580 and a 430 and right from the start you'll have wireless two flash set up. For that price you can buy a 580 and two 430s (my current setup) !!

I would not purchase a ST-E2 for a couple reasons.
1- The 580EX can already provide the wireless transmission and ALOT more.
2- It does not allow you to control a third flash in group C. If you add a third flash, you'll want it as a background flash. The 580 can control three groups of multiple flash. A for Fill, B for Key, C for background.

If you start with the 580, you can add as many flash heads as your wallet will allow and have full control of all of them.

hope this helps

Yes that helped a lot.

Decision is made, start with a 580 and build from there if I need to down the road.

Thanks again TC

Most reactions

Back