Rebel Kit Lens or Canon 50mm F1.8???

NateS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need some advice. Based on my research, I'm torn 50/50 between which to purchase. I'm getting a Rebel XT in the next month or so. My main goal (reason for purchase) is to get better pictures of our 2 month old son while he's growing up. I also plan to take some wildlife and zoo photos next year.

So should I buy the camera with the lens kit or get

Canon Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens

instead?

If I get the non-zoom 50mm, do you think I'll regret not having the zoom? I also plan to do some macro stuff. Will that 50mm work well for macro shots or will I need a different lens.

I've already decided that I'm going to get the Sigma Telephoto 70-300mm f4-5.6 DG macro lens for my nature and zoom shots. Made this decision 10 minutes ago after seeing that all those doenoe were used with that lens.

So, please help me decide what I should do regarding the 50mm f1.8 and kit lens.

I spent about a year with the kit lens before I finally bought the 50mm f/1.8. The 50mm doesn't leave my camera anymore. On the occasions where I did try shooting with both of them, I was never very happy with the kit lens. It's not nearly as sharp and that really shows when you're looking at pictures from both lenses side by side.

I've also had to un-learn some bad habits. The zoom made me pretty lazy; but now that I have to actually move closer to my subject, I'm learning to take pictures with more interesting angles and such. Also the 50mm is so much faster, that it can take a lot more pictures that aren't even possible with the kit lens.

So if you want to take my advice, skip the kit lens and get the 50mm. You won't regret it.

Thanks for the advice. My wife is convinced that I'll regret not having the zoom lens, but I'm really looking for the best pictures for the buck. I think I can live with a small inconvenience for a much higher clarity. Also, a lot of my pictures of our son will be indoors. Am I correct in thinking that the 50mm f1.8 will shoot much better indoors and in lower light situations?
Also....do you ever use your 50mm 1.8 for Macro?

If you're going to be shooting indoors, you absolutely want a faster lens that what you'll get with the kit; this way you won't have to use that nasty flash.

I think that the 50mm will be great for what you want to do with it; and the kit lens just won't be.

I've never tried any macro shots with it; its minimum focus distance seems a bit too far away for that...but suddenly the conversation has become more technical than I'm capable of dealing with. :)

Ah. Well, that's good to know about the indoor shooting. I think that is a deal-sealer for me. Being so young, our son spends a lot of his day on the floor, in the swing, etc.... He's not outside for very long portions. Sounds like the 50mm f1.8 might actually be more versatile for my needs than the kit lens. Thanks again.

Other opinions are also welcomed. Would like to hear from anybody else that's used the 50mm f1.8 canon lens.

I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about the 50mm 1.8 lens..only that it isn't quite as nice as the 1.4, but for the price it can't be beat. So I bought one for myself a couple of weeks ago. I've been nothing but pleased.

If you open the aperture all the way up to 1.8, just watch your focus. It's really easy to be off just a little because you have a really shallow depth of field. :)

I'll watch that focus deal with the 1.8.....thanks for the heads up. I'm really anxious to get the camera and the lens. I'll have a lot of playing to do and very excited.

The only thing you'll really miss with the 50 is the wide angle of the 18. If you want to do landscapes, the wide is pretty helpful. That said, I just spent the weekend switching between my 50 and 10-20, I only put the kit lens on once. That was because I was in a small room and couldn't get far enough away without distorting.(unfortunately, I had to use the flash as well).
Dug

That's slightly what I'm afraid of.....missing the wide angle. Although my P&S doesn't have wide angle and I've only had a few circumstances where I've needed one. Like the St. Louis Auto Show for example where, if you take a step back to fit the whole picture, someone walks in front of you.

Anyway, right now, I think the higher quality pictures for portraits will outweigh the need for wide angle. Plus I can always get a higher quailty wide angle than the kit lens down the road if I really need one.

Nothing wrong at all with the 50mm f/1.8 which is Canon's cheapest lens by the way. I wouldn't have it as my only lens but its definitely a must-have.

If you are doubting the quality of the kit lens check out the 17-85 IS. The quality of the kit lens really isn't that bad. A lot of people just don't like its plastic construction. I still use my a lot and will eventually replace it with a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 or Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 which are two more good replacements that you might want to look out.

Bottom line though is that it comes down to budget. If money is tight, then there is nothing wrong with getting both the kit and the 50.

P.S. You could probably snag a 24-105 really cheap too. Not wide enough on a crop camera for me but its an option.

You won't miss the kit lens. Trust me. I'm tempted to sell mine...but I keep it around just in case I need some wide angle shot. I never really do though, so I just back up if I have to.

The 50 is great for portraits...I have hundreds that I think have turned out well. The kit lens in terms of image quality doesn't hold a candle whatsoever to the 50. You'll enjoy it a lot.

Budget is definately tight. I probably could afford the kit lens and the 50mm but really don't want to spend the money if the kit lens hardly ever gets used.

Since portrait quality is the most important, I'm really leaning toward the 50mm. Plus our boy moves so fast that the faster lens will be really helpful.

I'll be getting the Sigma zoom lens for christmas, so the 50mm won't be my only lens for too long.

My only fear is that I'll regret not getting the kit lens.
It will save me 79 to not get it but cost me 150 to get it later if I change my mind (from what I researched at least)

I have both. I love my 50mm 1.8 SOOOO much but it is currently broken. It came cracked from Amazon's crappy shiping, and just recently slid out of the plastic body while autofocusing......., but that is from the cracked housing. the crack was on the knurled lip of plastic at the end holding in all the innards which explains it comming out of the housing. so yeah, bad build quality, but AWESOME lens. It'll hold if you get a good condition one and dont drop it. For macro, just hold it in front of your camera backwards.

(oh and you can find kit lenses on most local Craigslists for like $40)

Budget is definately tight. I probably could afford the kit lens and the 50mm but really don't want to spend the money if the kit lens hardly ever gets used.

Since portrait quality is the most important, I'm really leaning toward the 50mm. Plus our boy moves so fast that the faster lens will be really helpful.

I'll be getting the Sigma zoom lens for christmas, so the 50mm won't be my only lens for too long.

My only fear is that I'll regret not getting the kit lens.
It will save me 79 to not get it but cost me 150 to get it later if I change my mind (from what I researched at least)

Craigslist is good for the kit lens(I got mine for $55) and if you are in St Louis, check Creve Coeur and Schillers for used lenses. I picked up my 50 @ Schillers for $60.
Dug

Most reactions

Back