rebel xsi plus......

kenwood72

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
just got the new rebel, had a d70 for a few years and initially i am very impressed. of course I am no pro but wow the canon seems fast and well appointed for the price but of course I am sure people could argue that all day and I do not want to be too opinionated yet:lol:

so to my question....the lens that came with is does not offer enough zoom for what I like to shoot (my kids, soccer, me and friends riding bikes, outdoors, etc) so I want to buy a new lens.

being a beginner I was oblivious to the vast difference in lens quality. I recently saw a write up on the canon 55-250 but also read cheaper lenses are really starting to show their limits with the higher quality sensor.

if I want to spend roughly 500 (i know the recommended prices will exceed that!) what do you, the experts, think?

thanks and I will be reading, reading, and practicing but I want to get something soon and over time have found that communities such as this will offer a great foundation to build my choice on. I am not playing dumb and asking other to make it just looking for direction from the pros!!!:hail:

Thanks for your time and help and here are two pics, I am sure you can see what I was "trying" to do with them but I need help, critique away..this was the blues fest in portland, or this weekend!

Last edited:
Look for something in the EF group with IS (image stabiliation), you'll pay a little more for the IS but you'll have signifcantly less blurry images.

so it doesnt seem I can do so, any ideas why?

For a telephoto zoom, the EF-S 50-250 IS, EF 70-300 IS, and EF 70-200 f/4L are all great lenses. Just a matter of how much you want to spend, what sort of reach you're looking for, and if stabilization is important or not. Sounds like you'd be shooting more action type stuff and not landscape or scenery, so you could probably get by fine without IS. That would make the 70-200 f/4L a great choice for just a smidgen above your $500 budget. You can get perfectly good copies used from $400-500 if you look around though.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The 70-300 is slower, and it's not "L" glass. Canon's L line is legendary... top notch in optical quality.

The 70-300 is slower, and it's not "L" glass. Canon's L line is legendary... top notch in optical quality.

this lens has been around for a long time, does that affect a lens like a camera? do the technologies change in a lens?

i read this can be bad in lower light, I am pretty new and the last tele lens I had was a nikon with IS i think it was a 70-200 or something like that.

as with all hobbies I am sure I am going to spend more but for my camera this will probably top it out, correct?

this lens has been around for a long time, does that affect a lens like a camera? do the technologies change in a lens?

i read this can be bad in lower light, I am pretty new and the last tele lens I had was a nikon with IS i think it was a 70-200 or something like that.

as with all hobbies I am sure I am going to spend more but for my camera this will probably top it out, correct?

Well its not "bad" in low light, its not made for low light. Thats why there is another version of F/2.8

Not to mention glass lasts longer than cameras do. Most lenses are just glass except for some electronics for IS, aperture and AF if its available.

And you dont really need IS, its *mostly* for still shots using hand held such as low light. Not action or moving subjects.

IS of course if a plus, but not always needed.

Not to mention the L quality of the EF 70-200 is tack sharp

okay i did mention :)

why do some of the listing say gray market? also how much for a uv filter, or what should I spend??

"Gray market" means the equipment wasn't intended for the US market, and it will not be covered by the manufacturers warranty. Often the retailer will offer their own warranty on this type of product....

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM ($1059)
Pretty good range, L quality glass

EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM ($1025)

Second lens has IS also, basically jumps from $560 to $1025...

Or if you want low light capability, you can get the F/2.8 versions of the 70-200 lenses

EF 70-200mm f/4L USM $560
EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM $1025
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM $1190
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM $1700

It depends if you need the extra aperture or IS or both.
The lens has to be pretty good to make 4 versions of it IMHO :)

that is what I thought, I think i am going with the is at f4 in the 70-200. I was trying to find a cheaper alternative, Sigma, Tamaron but do not see anything unless it iws WAY cheaper and then I assume it is inferior to some degree.

Thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

Back