Rebel XSi upgrade/change - 24-105 not the right lens.

bigzaj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well first off I mainly take landscape shots outdoors or family function shots indoors, probably about a 60/40 split. I got a Rebel XSi a while back and for some reason or another my mom gave me a Canon 24-105 F4 L lens. I think this lens is overkill on this camera and I dont really find the effective field it gives me (38-168mm) particularly useful for me and what I like to shoot. If I had a full frame I think it would be different but I don't.

Im considering selling the lens and the XSi and looking to jump to either a 7D or a D90. The main reason I am considering the Nikon switch is they seem to cater lenses more towards cropped dslrs where as Canon seems to be lacking in the EF-S range.

So really its a change to a D90 and DX lenses (35mm DX incl) or I just upgrade to the 7D and keep the 24-105 lens for it and get something like a 50mm F1.8 for shooting indoor family stuff.

I'm not sure what to do, I feel like I have this great Canon lens but doesnt really suit my needs.

All things being equal if I wanted to set myself up for wide-angle and low light shooting do I stick with Canon or jump to Nikon?

Welcome to the forum.

The 7D has the same sized sensor as your Rebel, and will therefore give you the same field of view with that lens, that your rebel does now. You would have to get a 5D to get a bigger sensor.

You might consider selling that lens and getting the EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. It's a fantastic lens and a great match for a crop sensor body.

Most reactions

Back