Rebel XT guide?

JBLoudG20

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jayt.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been searching the net and the forum for a little while now, and have come up with nothing. Are there any beginner's guides to the Rebel XT?

I would also appreciate some beginner reading on composition and soem of these techinal camera terms :)

Thanks!

are you looking for a manual for the Rebel XT? I mean, you want to learn how to use your camera, right? Then reading the manual is a good place to start.

If you want to know more (correct me if I am wrong, because I am also new) about composition and such, you can read any book on photography.

Is there any specific question you have about the Rebel XT? Cause I have one too, so maybe I can help.

Pascal

search this forum there are tons of posts about composition lighting and all that good stuff

google is also your best friend loads can be found

and www.wikipedia.com has great stuff and links to other topics in the explination which i like

as for the xt thing if you dont mean the user manual i know there are books about the eos system and i think rebels too and possibly even the xt? i really dont know but i have seen the eos ones in passing when im in the stores

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I don't have my Rebel yet, I'm going to get it this weekend.

I was looking more towards a good explanation about the different shooting modes, and how different settings can be changed. I guess I'll look up the manual to the camera.

I was just hoping for some prep reading so I can get shooting right away :mrgreen:

Chris, one's the American name and one's the European name.

And JB (welcome!) ... the manual that will come with the camera will be a good first guide. But in case basic things like aperture, exposure and all that are still new to you then I should guess any book on photography might be of help in that area. And reading a lot on this very forum, of course ;), or posting your own first pics, being prepared for some critique or well-meant hints and all that.

I am already curious to see your first pics taken with the 350D :D.

Top effort for stepping up and getting a DSLR! You'll be hooked in no time. Just really read up about different apperatures and shutters, and also the ISO when you do get it, the ISO is the key to alot of different effects and overall quality.
But my best reccomendation is to buy a monthly photography magazine, that has pics showing the settings used to take the photo, of coarse take alot and alot of photos, its the only way to improve :D
You'll understand your camera eventually, it may take a while, but now that I am used to my 350D, i find it a breeze to use, and the image quality is fairly high!

I'm sure you can download a PDF of the XT user manual on Canon's site. Read up on that, and take a trip to your local library. I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful books on exposure and composition. John Hedgecoe writes great books that cover photography from A-Z.

The shooting modes are pretty much the same as any other Canon EOS camera. The 4 'creative' modes, as they are called are P (auto), Av (aperture priority), Tv (Shutter Priority) and M (Manual).

I haven't used any of the other modes on my camera at all...they don't do anything that you can't do with these 4 main modes.

These modes have not changed much in 20 or 30 years...so you should be able to dig up some information that will be useful.

Composition, photography terms...even the basics of exposure....have not changed in 100 years. Go to the library and get a book on photography. Too much of today's literature is all about the bells & whistles of digital...and the stuff that you really need to learn doesn't have to do with digital or film...just photography.

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll stop by our campus library today to see what I can find!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back